Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Mic Preamp Enclosure
Mic Preamp Enclosure
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2019, 01:51 PM   #11
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaark View Post
So the circuit I’m using doesn’t use any IO transformers, but I’ve considered adding some later if I want to. But is it really so simple as enclosing the power transformer with grounded sheet steel? I wish I could construct an external power supply, but I don’t know how to even approach that. What sort of connector would go from the power supply into the main unit? Would the transformer be by itself in the other box or would I include the filtering and regulation circuit in there, too?
The PV8 mixer uses this wall transformer https://www.newark.com/triad-magneti...-4a/dp/96M0302
But you have to go to parts-express.com to get the mating barrel receptacle 2.1 mm x 5.5 mm. I've found no way to pry it out of newark.
The rectifier and filter caps are inside the PV8 mixer chassis.
Actually the PAS2 preamp has a both steel wrapped transformer and also steel bulkheads inside the box to keep flux away from high gain wires. Peavey equipment wraps the EI transformer with a copper band to reduce flux, but they also put it behind a bulkhead or U wrapper.
In the switcher supply CS800s, peavey puts the power supply inside a separate steel box inside the main chassis, to keep the RF flux shorted out.
You can't buy copper banded or steel wrapped transformers anymore. Buy you can buy junk equipment which has them, often for $60 or less including freight. Which is what I do. the circuit boards and IC's you can get cheaply. The mechanicals and connectors are hard to get & expensive on the new market. As for equipment above, dynaco equipment is pricey, even the badly designed ST120. Dead Peavey equipment covers the south. Stay away from numark, their stuff is all surface mount and ribbon connectors. 70's to 90's stuff can be leaded components.

Last edited by indianajo; 25th May 2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 25th May 2019, 04:36 PM   #12
Waaaaaark is offline Waaaaaark  United States
diyAudio Member

Great, this is all very helpful stuff. Thanks guys

Mic Preamp EnclosureHide this!Advertise here!