Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

House curve for electronic music
House curve for electronic music
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2019, 10:37 AM   #11
Damo s is offline Damo s  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipman725 View Post
Well as a post event report this is what actually happened:
Set flat at desired volume level, sounded like it needed more bass. Set +4dB @ 20 Hz to -4dB @20 kHz curve, this sounded better. But then it turned out the music was less bass heavy than expected and the DJ position had much more bass than the rest of the room so the subs were not even used to capacity. I did find out that drum and bass has a very high peak to average ratio on the treble though as my tweeter amp was occasionally clipping (180W peak into 100dB/1W).

*the void tips and actually metering the SPL levels looks to be what I need. A well setup void system sounds phenomenal.
Most likely it was the snare drums inducing the limiter. Depending on the sub-genre of DnB some of them have very loud / hard hitting snares. The same is true of breaks / nuschool breaks, a genre that was popular around 10 years ago but not so much now but is still going.

My system was used at a party last weekend which was mainly DnB. Listening to one of the Djs playing during testing prior to the party I could hear some of the tracks were using C1 bass notes (32.7hz). I didnt have a subsonic HP filter switched on and was actually quite impressed with how my subs reproduced the bass that deep, considering they are just 15s in pretty compact boxes. That said the system wasn't being ragged and I suspect it may have not been quite so happy if pushed to the limit.

Last edited by Damo s; 27th June 2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 27th June 2019, 12:28 PM   #12
kipman725 is offline kipman725  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
20Hz is way too deep to boost except if you've got 2-way bass with extreme infras. Hardly any music contains that. But bad recordings of amateur producers do contain noises and turntable rumble (also from samples). The subs have to do huge excursions and the VC often hits the back poleplate. That's the best reciepe to kill your subs mechanically.

Don't forget your lowcut at or very close to the tuning frequency of your subs. You get a lot more headroom and your subs live a lot, lot longer!

Guess, what monitors are for.. The DJ should not control the EQing anyway.
Subs are sealed and cannot be pushed into over excursion by the amplifier so in this circumstance its OK. I did have a high pass at 25Hz so the actual boost at 20Hz was not +4dB the EQ curve was just an overall spectrum tilt.

I did have DJ monitors; however the DJ was also next to the subs (only possible placement) so using the full capacity of the subs was tricky as eyeball vibration made it hard to see. Decks have basic EQ but it may also be that the genres of music been played had less bass than I expected as it was not what I usually listen to.
Old 27th June 2019, 12:44 PM   #13
Damo s is offline Damo s  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I did have DJ monitors; however the DJ was also next to the subs (only possible placement) so using the full capacity of the subs was tricky as eyeball vibration made it hard to see.
sounds like a great way to prevent the DJ from smashing the reds
Old 28th June 2019, 02:37 PM   #14
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Subs are sealed and cannot be pushed into over excursion by the amplifier so in this circumstance its OK. I did have a high pass at 25Hz so the actual boost at 20Hz was not +4dB the EQ curve was just an overall spectrum tilt.
Sealed subs cannot be pushed into exceeding the xmax? Dude, that's quite a misconception you've got there.

CB_ex.png

Quote:
I did have DJ monitors; however the DJ was also next to the subs (only possible placement) so using the full capacity of the subs was tricky as eyeball vibration made it hard to see.
You know that these levels will cause permanent hearing damage? Aside from that, the DJ is still not the one who controls the EQ, especally not if he's placed in such a location.

Quote:
Decks have basic EQ but it may also be that the genres of music been played had less bass than I expected as it was not what I usually listen to.
Yes, different music genres do have different frequency ranges. But.. See, if that happens it's the biggest sign your EQing is way off. If you can't eq it from ear, it's a good idea to measure it. Use white noise (low to medium level is enough) and for measuring take your tablet/cell etc if you don't have anything else and work from that.
Old 29th June 2019, 07:55 AM   #15
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICG View Post
Sealed subs cannot be pushed into exceeding the xmax? Dude, that's quite a misconception you've got there.
No, he said that HIS subs won't be pushed past Xmax - the amplifier will clip first. Probably due to a series/parallel arrangement where each driver sees only a fraction of the input voltage.

Chris
Old 30th June 2019, 01:44 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Chris is correct in that the amplifier maximum output only just exceeds xmax. I'm redesigning the sub system at the moment for more output and smaller box size (but more boxes).

At the levels I hit hearing damage is not an issue for sub bass frequencies. It is an issue on the dance floor but often these levels are what people want and expect. I personally wear hearing protection and limit my exposure if levels are high. Ear plugs are always provided for other people as well.

I set up using a calibrated measurement mic, get everything flat over the dance floor then apply eq.
Old 30th June 2019, 01:44 PM   #17
ICG is offline ICG  Germany
diyAudio Member

Oh, sorry, I got that wrong. Anyway, it's seriously wrong to EQ below the lowcut. It's worth looking at a spectrum analyzer, where the bass 'happens'. You can do that in advance with the music material/genre played, if you don't have the means at the location.
Old 15th August 2019, 11:03 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I have converted the void recommended EQ curves in .FRD files so that they can be used as the house curve in REW. The recommendation has 30dB of boost (compared to midrange) at 20Hz so I have also included versions with less extreme boost.
Attached Images
File Type: png all_100phon.png (83.2 KB, 16 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 100phon.zip (3.5 KB, 0 views)

House curve for electronic musicHide this!Advertise here!