Dante and Powersoft T Series

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just playing with Armonia. there are so many questions, I 'd need some guy to walk me through this software (skype?)...
What is Layer 1, Layer 2 Layer 3?
How does active damping control work?
How to implement crossover filters on the various outputs, how to link highpass and lowpass? how to save / restore setups?
I think I understand the input fallback strategy and the Matrix, though..
How to properly setup Dante virtual sound Card on a PC?
So many questions......

I can walk you through it if you like. Maybe the best thing to do would be some kind of screen sharing..?

The layers are just EQ layers that are summed. Sometimes it's handy to give a visiting engineer a "flat" EQ to work with, so you can just give them one of the layers.

The active damping effectively gives you variable output impedance. If you switch it on, though, the channel gets lowpassed at 400Hz. Not sure why.

All the crossovers are independent, but you can copy/paste if you want things to match.

Dante Virtual Soundcard is fairly straightforward when you've got everything up and running.

You can store setups (as speakers or snapshots of the entire amplifier) within the amp itself, and also on your laptop.

HTH,
Chris

EQ layers "summed"? I guess it makes more sense to have them "series'ed", so you can just add and subtract the dB up and down. That is what you mean right?
Guess the active damping is for sub use only.

3 more questions:
1. Since T604 it boasts universal PSU - I guess it has PFC, like the X series, right?
2. How loud / annoying /scary are the fans under no load?
3. Chris, any power consumption recordings?

Hi Tom,

EQ - correct, they effectively put the EQ in series. I don't think they need so many EQ layers, but there you go.
1 - Yep
2 - Not particularly. I used a T604 for home HiFi for a while. My only problem with it was that it didn't have an input selector and an easy-to-access volume control
3 - Not yet. The T604 is currently in for repairs after a firmware update rendered it useless.
From what I can tell, though, a T602 and T604 are very similar - it just looks like the T602 effectively has the channels in parallel for more power into lower impedances. My T602 still works fine, so I could rig something up with that very easily.
FWIW, the firmware update problem seems to be an isolated incident - AFAIK, nobody else in the world has had the problem, so I'd still recommend these amps.

Chris

So I just checked the T604 FIR filter capabilities. It looks, FIR XOVER can only be applied down to 400Hz, since the taps are limited to 128 taps, THOUGH the amp has 2014 taps. Latency is an issue with linear phase FIR, but ONLY in live applications. Playing some music as a DJ would not suffer from some extra ms of latency. Powersoft: Not so great..

so my application would be FIR Filtering at ~100Hz to XOVER the subs from the tops.
"But the FIR filter has such a bad pre-ringing...."
-> Not really, as long as the Lowpass and highpass are matched AND the acoustical volume of both ways is also matched AND the distance betwen both acoustical centers is much smaller than a wavelength ... - the pre-ringing of both ways would actually cancel each other.

Playing some music as a DJ would not suffer from some extra ms of latency. Powersoft: Not so great..

Good DJs are very sensitive to delays - they make their living on tempo, and the good ones are finely tuned to that.

FIR crossover at 100Hz would require exceptionally long processing times. You can import 2048 taps of custom FIR into the amplifier, but to keep the delays sensible I'd recommend using Powersoft's FIR crossovers.

I'd only use low-frequency FIR filters for playback. Anything live at all (DJs, instruments, etc) would suffer badly.

Chris

So I d be more the kind of Spotify-on-Shuffle-mode-DJ.
DJing is basically playback, not anything "live".
Why should I care about delay at all?

BTW: Found a nice test about the T series. It looks the T304 is basically same amp as 604 but with one missing PSU, so less RMS power than T604 with all channels active, but still same peak voltage and current.
The T302 has 2 channel modules missing / not assembled AND 1 missing PSU module.
As you said, the T602 has all modules, but with the amp modules in some parallell mode.

Verstarker-Test: Powersoft T-Serie 602/604 | Production Partner

So I d be more the kind of Spotify-on-Shuffle-mode-DJ.
DJing is basically playback, not anything "live".
Why should I care about delay at all?

Spotify on shuffle will be fine.

Making announcements will be difficult, though. I'd recommend you try this:

- Set up a simple PA system
- Apply ~100ms of delay
- Try talking into a vocal mic.

I can't do it. The delay is such that it feels like you're interrupting yourself, and speaking actually becomes very difficult.

Chris

Anyway, I think for some steep filter at 100Hz, 2048 taps would be way to0 few at 48kHz. Need more like 10.000+ taps. I am talking steep filter at 100Hz, down at least 24dB at 50Hz.
My idea of FIR crossover is dead now. Still I can use those digital LR- 24dB or LR 48dB standard filters. Works quite well usually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

I have 2 SRX815P and I would like to construct DIY subwoofer cabinet with 21DS115 (1700 RMS).

I need to have at least about 2200W for the amplifier (2/3 * 1700W x 2). The Powersoft T60X is interesting but I have some questions. I have thinking about options :
- Speaker in 4 ohms and use the T602 witch delivered 2 x 2500W - 4ohms
- Speaker in 8 ohms and use the T604 and bridge to have 2 channels of 4 to delivered 2 x 3000W - 8 ohms

What do you suggested ? What is the best solutions for save the amplifier ? I like the idea to have 4 channels in the case where I have some issues with the SRX and must use an old cabinet.

Regards,

Axel

I'm pretty sure You won't hear the difference with a good DJ mixer feeding the speakers with good balanced analog XLR's and the network Dante expensive stuff.
The problem is.. there is Dante, Ethersound, Ultranet... Hotel multi-zone amps / matrixes and peripherals and all is incompatible with each other. You pay 3* more just to have that RJ45 input / output port on the back.
You have to program everything before the show if You switch gear. You want a simple setup system. Plug & Play.
There are $$$$ multi-protocol converters, but If You have the money, go for it.
Come on You are doing parties, not mastering CD's. Noise floor will not be an issue playing Techno or Deep house at high volumes and Your audience will be drunk to distinguish 10k from 15Khz.
I would adopt such systems in a fixed installation.
I am looking this moment at this system for a friend of mine who is going to open a rural tourism hotel with just 25 rooms, but his son worked at Meridian Singapore for a while (Tourism Course Final Stage) and want it all...

Ethernet Digital Control Zone Mixer | Products
| Cloud

2000€ just for the matrix and 4 remote zone controllers. Now sum ceiling speakers and amps.

Last edited:
What do you suggested ? What is the best solutions for save the amplifier ? I like the idea to have 4 channels in the case where I have some issues with the SRX and must use an old cabinet.

Regards,

Axel

The T602 is effectively the T604 with pairs of channels running in parallel, to double the current capacity.
Both are very good amps. If it was up to me, I'd take the T604, bridge, and use 8ohm drivers for 3KW/driver.

Another option would be this: use 4ohm drivers, and run one per channel on the T604. With two drivers, you'd get about 2200w each due to the asymmetrical loading on the amp. With four drivers, you'd get 1500w each since each channel is loaded equally.
You'd gain about 4dB by doubling the number of cabs - the amp would be the limiting factor in terms of output, but would still be happy to run that many drivers.

Doing that gives you some options for expansion in the future, as well as the flexibility that you've noted - the spare channels can drive stage monitors etc.

Chris

Thank you Chris for your clear response.

In France the T604 is about 3 500 € (3 944 $) and the T602 about 3 000 € (3 381 $). Is the price correct for you ?

There are fewer Powersoft importers in France than in the USA, yet Italy is close to France ...

Regards,

Axel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.