Butterfly bass bins and mids

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
attachment.php

Butterfly by Tube Audio was a brand and not just a nickname for the folding in the following photo you can make out the logo

f91020d802b9973ad683b84854146e0e.jpg

Attachments

• bassthingy.jpeg
    bassthingy.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 639
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the links and pictures, Planet10. I know this is compromises and old designs, but if it sounds very well and very pleasantly... and far better than today designs optimized with computers for Line arrays... this is the reason why some peoples still love it, and not only due to nostalgia...

Cheers.

the one thing that always seems to be missing from the cabinet drawings is the range of operation trying to push 30hz out of a single or even a stack of these is going to tear the surround off even the most worthy of drivers.

the high pass in a martin single fifteen presented a capacitive load at low frequency and constant hard clipping killed the filters and sometimes the amp.

i was happy when HH V800 became available in the north american market it could tolerate those working conditions and when Dearden Davies Assoc. made a selectable high pass filter with a 24 db slope an intergral feature of their Xovers life was good...

sixteen or eight per side just makes it...and that depends on how they are stacked/ arranged.

and although i'm a fan of these, two factors caused me to move on, form/shape is a logistical nightmare when it comes to truck pack and the fact they produce as much output behind the stack as they did out front made life for the performers on stage a literal bass hell!!

i'm still curious about the internals of the Butterfly bins as from the little i remember about them the path length was supposedly twice as long as the Martins...but that also made them twice as heavy and likely what lead to them being unpopular.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.