Microphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are you interested in condenser mics, or does the "rf" mean you want to discuss wireless mics?

No the microphone capsule forms part of a FM circuit where the audio modulates the capacitance of the capsule in an oscillator and the FM is detected by a discriminator. There are no high impedances involved but the transformers are a difficult DIY. This is a rare DIY project.

Condenser mics. The "RF" bit means that the capsule is used to modulate an RF system comprising an oscillator (Sennheiser use about 8 MHz in their MKH-series mics) directly connected to an FM demodulator. This is not a wireless mic! Rather it uses a directly-connected FM system to read the motion of the condenser diaphragm.

Advantages: The circuit connected to the condenser capsule is low impedance; it does not require gigaohm-value resistors or high diaphragm voltages. Also, it is low noise and, because of the lack of high diaphragm voltage, inherently tolerant of humid environments. See Sennheiser's explanation at https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/11061/MKH-Story_WhitePaper_en.pdf and John Willett's description in Line Up, June/July 2003, available at Technology of RF Condenser Mics.

The Sennheiser MKH mics are some of the best mics money can buy; but you need quite a lot of it as they are /very/ expensive ($1,300-$2,600). The technology should be amenable to some DIY inventiveness, as Uwe Beis has shown (see link in my original post), but completing such a design is beyond my very limited electronic design skills.

I am hoping I might spark some interest here; perhaps, as many modern industrial instruments use similar technology for reading (often MEMS) sensors, some industrial instrument designer might rise to the challenge.

Thanks, Scott. I think you explained it better than I did.

You have the right idea, I think the transformers and the fine tuning of this circuit keeps folks away. I have only seen one or two DIY attempts over the years. The conventional approach is easier to understand for most folks I think, and after all there are not a lot of other commercial vendors either. Any patents have expired decades ago.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The capsule can be almost any distance from the head-amp.

I had a Stevens from the late 1950s. The electronics were bigger than a shoe-box. The capsule was hardly bigger than a tie-tack mike, coupled to the box with 20 feet of simple coax.

By the time I got it, it didn't work right, and diagnosis was non-obvious, keeps folks away. By this time JFET-Electret tie-tacks were so cheap the Stevens RF wan't worth fooling with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.