Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Microphones
Microphones
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2019, 11:48 PM   #1
GerardLardner is offline GerardLardner  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Default Microphones

Is there an forum/area where microphones are discussed?

Has anyone tried doing an rf mic, like a Sennheiser MKH? I am aware of Uwe Beis' rf mic page at RF-Condenser Microphone Circuit
Old 25th February 2019, 11:47 PM   #2
Enzo is online now Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you interested in condenser mics, or does the "rf" mean you want to discuss wireless mics?
Old 26th February 2019, 12:57 AM   #3
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Are you interested in condenser mics, or does the "rf" mean you want to discuss wireless mics?
No the microphone capsule forms part of a FM circuit where the audio modulates the capacitance of the capsule in an oscillator and the FM is detected by a discriminator. There are no high impedances involved but the transformers are a difficult DIY. This is a rare DIY project.
Old 26th February 2019, 01:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Condenser mics. The "RF" bit means that the capsule is used to modulate an RF system comprising an oscillator (Sennheiser use about 8 MHz in their MKH-series mics) directly connected to an FM demodulator. This is not a wireless mic! Rather it uses a directly-connected FM system to read the motion of the condenser diaphragm.

Advantages: The circuit connected to the condenser capsule is low impedance; it does not require gigaohm-value resistors or high diaphragm voltages. Also, it is low noise and, because of the lack of high diaphragm voltage, inherently tolerant of humid environments. See Sennheiser's explanation at https://assets.sennheiser.com/global...tePaper_en.pdf and John Willett's description in Line Up, June/July 2003, available at Technology of RF Condenser Mics.

The Sennheiser MKH mics are some of the best mics money can buy; but you need quite a lot of it as they are /very/ expensive ($1,300-$2,600). The technology should be amenable to some DIY inventiveness, as Uwe Beis has shown (see link in my original post), but completing such a design is beyond my very limited electronic design skills.

I am hoping I might spark some interest here; perhaps, as many modern industrial instruments use similar technology for reading (often MEMS) sensors, some industrial instrument designer might rise to the challenge.
Old 26th February 2019, 01:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Scott. I think you explained it better than I did.
Old 26th February 2019, 01:54 AM   #6
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardLardner View Post
Thanks, Scott. I think you explained it better than I did.
You have the right idea, I think the transformers and the fine tuning of this circuit keeps folks away. I have only seen one or two DIY attempts over the years. The conventional approach is easier to understand for most folks I think, and after all there are not a lot of other commercial vendors either. Any patents have expired decades ago.
Old 26th February 2019, 05:06 AM   #7
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

The capsule can be almost any distance from the head-amp.

I had a Stevens from the late 1950s. The electronics were bigger than a shoe-box. The capsule was hardly bigger than a tie-tack mike, coupled to the box with 20 feet of simple coax.

By the time I got it, it didn't work right, and diagnosis was non-obvious, keeps folks away. By this time JFET-Electret tie-tacks were so cheap the Stevens RF wan't worth fooling with.
Old 26th February 2019, 06:48 AM   #8
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Thread moved to PA Systems.

MicrophonesHide this!Advertise here!