Small PA passive sub recommendation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend will be using some Tannoy V8 tops and needs a pair of small subs (passive) to fill in the bass for small/med gigs.

Subs need to be small but highish output + easily handled by one person.
Cubo 12? or other options to consider? DIY is ok but flat packs would help.

Chris,
thanks for the tip. I understand, you had the specific Beyma 15" drivers on hand that you wanted to use. Since I'm stating clean, I don't have that need. So any similar sized sub would work. My questions is:

Wouldn't a bandpass be smaller for the same output. Example is this 18Sound design based on their 12" driver
http://www.eighteensound.com/Portals/0/EnclosuresKits/18sound_12BANDPASSKIT.pdf

So it's a matter of BR 15 sub vs BP 12 sub, of course implementation is key. So that's why I looked at the 18Sound driver and recommended box.

Remember that the 15"s still have about 40% more cone area than a 12" unit, and will have more output accordingly.

Bandpass boxes for a particular driver can get louder than normal ported boxes for a given driver, but will tend to result in a larger cabinet to do so. The bandpass design you've linked is a similar size to the 15" ported boxes I linked, and I'd expect the 15"s to win on output.

FWIW, while we did design for the Beyma units, I also use a set of 4x Faital Pro 15HP1060 drivers, with less than 1dB difference in the frequency response curves.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.