PA main speakers on top of Monitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've been a gigging musician for many years but have only recently had the wherewithal to acquire monitor speakers. These would be driven through an old PA amp from the monitor output (no power amp in this circuit) - the main PA amp is a Peavey XRD 680S and the monitor amp a very old Laney simple 5 channel PA amp.

My question is - would this work OK, and can PA main speakers be placed on top of the monitor cabinets? I envisage putting the monitors on stands at about chest height, facing the band, with the main speakers sat on top of those facing outwards.

What works?

Thanks,
Fatcharlie.

I would think seriously about the load you'd be putting on those stands, and how easy it would be to make them fall over.
At the very minimum, you'd better strap the speakers together with decent ratchet straps.

Stage monitors are often placed at the base of each mic stand for individual musicians, although side fill usage (which is what you're talking about here) is also seen from time-to-time.

Chris

Yeah, +1 to Chris's point about stability - unless the cabs in question are designed to securely latch together with appropriate rigging hardware I'd never endorse stacking loose boxes when on a pole mount.

Other than that, assuming you've got 2 monitors, then yes, placing them at the sides firing in can work, but please put them on separate stands, or unused flight cases/tables/whatever can give them stability of their own, and leave the main PA speakers on their own stands.

My question is - would this work OK, and can PA main speakers be placed on top of the monitor cabinets? I envisage putting the monitors on stands at about chest height, facing the band, with the main speakers sat on top of those facing outwards.
Fatcharlie,

What you describe would commonly be called "side fill" monitors.
Side fill monitors require more careful equalization to achieve as much gain before feedback than if used as floor monitors (usually wedge shaped) because they are not located directly in the rejection pattern of cardioid vocal microphones.

That said, being nearly co-located with the main speakers, the monitors do less damage to the house sound than floor wedges pointed into stage cavities, reflecting delayed and out of phase "garbage" out front.

Use ratchet straps or some other safe means of securing the speakers to each other.

Art

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. The gig went really well. The system worked well, driving non-powered speakers from my old PA amp, which in turn was driven by the monitor output from the Peavey. I decided to heed the advice about stability and didn’t stack the speakers. It’s a small venue so we used the main speakers as usual and put the monitors on chairs in front of the band.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.