selective compression

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Standard analog equipment since long ago, standard in DAW nowadays...multiband compressor

Dan.

+1.

Multiband comp is what you're after.

Chris

PS - The top-end touring desks (and probably most DAWs) often have linear-phase EQ built-in.
EQ inherently is a form of distortion - you're taking a signal, and changing it in some way. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing - I'd bet over 99% of all records released have some EQ applied.

most good comp's have "side chain" jacks for that very purpose why not use it?

That's not quite the same thing.

A side-chain means you can use a different signal to compress the audio running through the compressor.

For instance, if you wanted automated voiceover for music, feed a vocal mic into the sidechain, music through the compressor, and the music will dip according to the feed from the mic.

Chris

ducking isn't the only way to use the "side chain", inserting an Eq allows you to select which frequencies will be "pre" compressed by boosting them on the Eq.

sort of a more flexible"de-esser" without being limited to high frequencies.

Not quite.

If you EQ the side-chain, all you're doing is pulling the volume of everything down, in response to specific frequencies.

Remember, a compressor is just a programmable finger on a fader.

Chris

much more than a finger on the fader, but ok i'll take your word for it.

How so?

You feed signal in. If the signal level is over the threshold, the compressor will start attenuating the signal. The time to reach full attenuation is set by the "attack" setting. That's how fast the finger pulls the fader down.

The fader stays down for as long as the "hold" setting tells it to, and then the fader is brought back up according to the "release" time.

If you use a side-chain, all you're doing is using a different signal to tell the finger when to move.

To take your example, you could use the same signal for the side-chain, but boost the bass by 10dB. All that will mean is the finger on the fader is now decreasing the volume of the music according to how loud the (boosted) bass is.

Chris

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Great info guys. So I take it you could add compression and expansion simultaneously? How is parametric eq the same as compression? My experience is that compression not only increases volume but definition also, especially bottom end. A parametric eq doesn't increase definition. I suppose it would with enough bands to tailor response?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.