Multi way home or portable on occasion DJ work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just throwing this idea, since I have 8 x 2226H (4 needs recone). Was thinking of building a 4 way system for home/DJ speaker system. I have 4 sheets of 4x8 BB 18 mm in the garage as well as 2 sheets of 5x5 BB 15mm, I can get more delivered. My plan is to build a pair of 4 way sound system: Decware Imperials loaded with a single 2226H, a 12" mid horn cab loaded with a JBL 2202H, and a top cabinet loaded with JBL 2390/2441 and a passive 2405 slot tweeter. I will be using my Ashly 2001 3 way crossover and QSC amps. Mainly for house listening and on occasion DJ work by building the lower half of the Imperial angled rear with 5" casters and 4 x 2" casters in back of the 12" mid horn with top cabinet integrated to sit on top of the 12" horn mouth for mobility. I am not an audio purist but love to listen to Jazz, House music, 70's/80's Disco, classic Rock, and some classical. Any takers? Thanks everyone!:D

There's no need for a 4-way system here. It's a lot of complication when a 3-way system would do the job just fine, and be easier to transport. It makes sense to go for a 4-way system when you want something that's of the scale of Nexo Alpha, or a 2x15"+MF+HF line array element.

How do the simulations look for that JBL unit in your suggested cabinet?

For portable use, I'd say ported boxes are still king in terms of output per cubic foot. Tapped horns get a bit more per driver, but require bigger cabinets.

Since you've potentially got 8x 15" drivers, I'd do this:

4x 2x15" ported subs. Maybe PPSL.
2x 2x12" or 2x10" mids. Ported again
2x 1.4" HF on whichever horn is well designed and matches the dispersion angle you want.

It's a system that's worked well for me for years.

Chris

Hi chris661, I already have a system that you describe I want something of a horn loading for a project. Basically home listening that I can tune on occasion I will be able to take it out for a DJ gig. The Imperials I have heard a lot of good things about. The music mid hi pack is what I am really concentrating on since I like the old school analog disco metal sounding hi's and tweets. I am a little concerned about the Dynacord copies it might not deliver down to 160Hz as previously read on another site. I may have to look at another design but will still be a 12" mid horn from 150 Hz to 800 Hz where the 2" JBL 2441 will come in. Any other ideas are welcome thank you.:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.