Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Powermixer inputs are dead
Powermixer inputs are dead
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Nordskov is offline Nordskov  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Powermixer inputs are dead

Hi there.

[SOLVED]
I have a Peavey XR1220 power mixer that has faulty inputs.
The mixer has 20 channels, 18 normal and 2 aux channels.
The normal channels have 3 inputs. XLR, Line and Insert.
All Insert inputs on all normal channels are dead.
XLR and Line are working fine. The two aux channels are ok too.
Using Insert the signal LED don't light up and there's no signal to PFL.

I really have no idea why the problem is affecting all channels.
What does these inserts have in common?

Thanks

Last edited by Nordskov; 4th January 2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Problem solved
Old 4th January 2019, 02:41 PM   #2
Ian Finch is online now Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

Have you already checked the operating manual to be certain you have it configured for the input type you want? [PDF] Operating Manual - Free Download PDF
Old 4th January 2019, 02:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
Have you already checked the operating manual to be certain you have it configured for the input type you want? [PDF] Operating Manual - Free Download PDF
Thank you for the link to the manual.
As I read it, special wiring is needed using Insert. Not like normal instruments like keyboards.
The mixer have been used in a static installation, with 8 keyboards. I would have sworn they all had been previous connected via Insert inputs, but I realize it must have been Line inputs.
Someone must have disconnected everything and reconnected it all wrong. And I didnt notice the difference.

Thank you Ian
Old 4th January 2019, 03:00 PM   #4
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

just what sort of connector are you using?
an insert is typically a stereo jack configured as tip=send ring=return sleeve is common inserts are used to patch in external devices like compressors or gates even external eq's "inserting" them inline with the channel.
so if your using a mono 1/4 plug you will not get signal on the ring as that is grounded by the plug (try pulling out the plug slowly til the tip comes into contact with the ring, you should get signal)

insert cables are typically a stereo plug on one end and two mono plugs at the other end either color coded red=return or marked S and R
Digiflex 1/4in TRS to Dual 1/4in TS Insert Cable - 6 Foot [HIN-1S-2P-6] : AVShop.ca - Canada's Pro Audio, Video and DJ Store
Old 4th January 2019, 03:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
just what sort of connector are you using?
an insert is typically a stereo jack configured as tip=send ring=return sleeve is common inserts are used to patch in external devices like compressors or gates even external eq's "inserting" them inline with the channel.
so if your using a mono 1/4 plug you will not get signal on the ring as that is grounded by the plug (try pulling out the plug slowly til the tip comes into contact with the ring, you should get signal)

insert cables are typically a stereo plug on one end and two mono plugs at the other end either color coded red=return or marked S and R
Digiflex 1/4in TRS to Dual 1/4in TS Insert Cable - 6 Foot [HIN-1S-2P-6] : AVShop.ca - Canada's Pro Audio, Video and DJ Store
It was all a mistake on my behalf, trying to use Insert as an instrument input
Thank you.
Old 4th January 2019, 03:17 PM   #6
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

ok ! carry on then!

Powermixer inputs are deadHide this!Advertise here!