Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

PA speakers for home HiFi use
PA speakers for home HiFi use
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2018, 07:46 PM   #1
Veeren is offline Veeren  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default PA speakers for home HiFi use

Hi all,

After having worked for a large PA company I came across a few PA speakers that sounded good enough on my test system to be used for home hi-fi use.
One was a DAS audio coaxial top box and a other a Peavey HiSys xx with the big horn and two black widow 15 inch speakers.
One that I started to use at home was a EV Sentry 4 studio monitor.
I liked that one very much and had it for many years.

So are there any more of those speakers out there that can be used as such?
Would be very happy to know about them.

Regards, Veeren
Old 30th December 2018, 08:40 PM   #2
indianajo is online now indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm quite happy with the Peavey SP2 which has one BW 15" and a 1.5" driven horn tweeter. It tops out at 14 khz which is where my ears roll off, also. My ears confirm the specified Harmonic Distortion of 2nd Harmonic 20 db down all frequencies @ 1W. Pianos and tinkly bells sound as good as anything built of wood and brass in my music room. Bass organ and low piano notes are good down to 54 hz, which is A1 on a piano. (A0 is 27.5 hz). Bass drum hits are time aligned, compared to say, Klipschhorn the folded horn model.
I suspect the equivalent JBL and Yamaha 15" plus horn tweeter models are as good, but haven't run across any in a suitable listening environment to audition them.
Somebody said Klipsch La Scala was the reference model in this design, but I haven't had a listen to any of those either.
These are all copies of the classic Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre, which sounded so good in Long Point Cinema in 1967 that my band director suggested we go listen to a movie on them. Which have origin in the original Bell Labs designs.
By contrast I had a friend with a pair of Bose 901's behind a Heathkit AR15, which did not impress me as being realistic.

Last edited by indianajo; 30th December 2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 30th December 2018, 09:19 PM   #3
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have jbl cabaret 4623 refurbised and modified filter with hypex ucd400 amps build in. Plays all the music except modern deep bass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7262.JPG (101.2 KB, 418 views)
Old 30th December 2018, 09:29 PM   #4
1audiohack is offline 1audiohack  United States
diyAudio Member

Currently listening to my Danley SH50ís. Mmmmmm.

Barry.
Old 30th December 2018, 09:48 PM   #5
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

Apogee AE5 (no longer in production) Tannoy VX 12.2Q and i also like the EV ZLX 12p (that's self powered) but that's just my opinion.
Old 30th December 2018, 10:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
Currently listening to my Danley SH50ís.
bragging eh...oh well at least i have scotch to console me!
Old 30th December 2018, 11:35 PM   #7
ViennaTom is offline ViennaTom
diyAudio Member

"After having worked for a large PA company I came across a few PA speakers that sounded good enough on my test system to be used for home hi-fi use."
Hard to understand the question.
How can any Pro speaker (I mean pro speaker, not cheap'n'loud-speaker) be NOT "good enough" for home use?
Pro speakers have the efficiency. They are designed for a certain coverage angle and frequency range.
In contrast, "hifi" speakers are the ones, where the efficiency is low, and most of the money goes to some rich self-proclaimed gurus peddling BS like "oxygen-free" cables, expensive shielded AC line distributors, ressource-wasting sound-distorting tube amps, standoffs to prevent speaker wires from touching the oh-so-terrible floor, "audio grade" electrolytics at the DC rails (where only capacity, lifetime and equivalent series resistance is what really counts), the "service" to "burn in" cables, which are said to be "directional" etc.......
(Sorry for my disgust at the "hifi" world. Trust me, I am an engineer...)
Old 30th December 2018, 11:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

holy cow Vienna Tom...i think you need scotch more than me!
Old 31st December 2018, 12:00 AM   #9
jneutron is offline jneutron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
holy cow Vienna Tom...i think you need scotch more than me!
I'll drink to that..

Jn
Old 31st December 2018, 11:58 AM   #10
Veeren is offline Veeren  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default PA speakers for home HiFi use

Very nice, thank you all so far for contributing!

@ViennaTom, the only reason I can think of is that PA loudspeakers may not do low level detail as good as some HiFi speakers.

But then again the trend towards more and more audioph(ool)ile detail seems to get in the way of the music and it seems only be done to satisfy the reviewers that test them..

The Peavey SP2 with the rounded horn flare looks very much like the HiSys but without the second BW.
I remember bending the voice coil tinsel wires solder tabs back on those BW`s as the wires are short and can be ripped out from the solder lugs or break there.

I have heard the Tannoy Pumas and thought they were good as well.

Again thank you very much and wishing you all a great turn of the year and a Happy New Year!

PA speakers for home HiFi useHide this!Advertise here!