PA speakers for home HiFi use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I quite like my:

logic system is8 - sensitive, needs low noise preamps and amps. else you hear the hiss! good sound. yum. quite fond of them

martin ccd6 - yum, need to play with it more, as i got them recently. quite wide dispersion.

Sonance Mariner i like a lot, more than the small kef outdoor speaker. got them with kef speakers as a bundle when i went to try and buy the kef speakers. supprise find, very good one :) didnt know about them before. good bass for such small things.

extron SI 28 very good 2rd hand price for this size of speaker. not too heavy thx to plastic case. not bad, not that bassy, seams ok for mids, treble. i need to play with it more. dont regret getting it. they where new in box, unused :). left over from a install job i guess.

all 2rd for good price :) searched ebay over the years.

rcf 4 or 5inch... i forget. got them for a steel. £20 each. new in box for 4x :D. good mids, treble. needs sub for lows.

dear me... quite a lot... well i plan to do immersive surround sound stuff with them all :)

a good condition mackie bandpass sub for £40, the amp was a lot more expensive to power it. for home use, it shakes the china in the display cabinet :D. not so good outdoors... really designed for indoors me thinks

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I do like a good PA speaker for the home, I enjoy the dynamics and speed.
My two main speakers in my listening room at home are Tannoy type 2062 8" in custom built enclosures, and the incredible JBL Studio 580 that shares its 2414H-1 compression driver with the EON series of PA speakers and others.

I don't have any low powered amps, but both pairs of speakers are efficient and easy to drive. Maybe one day I'll have a low powered tube amp. My main amp is a Yamaha P2200 that just idles along.

Last edited:
i can almost hear the chuffing from that port and the diffraction from that recessed baffle...sorry that's a little scotch infused...and i'm cranky...nice cosmetics to the build though, kudos on that!
and no doubt an awesome driver to listen to...scotch infused jealousy...sorry!

i can almost hear the chuffing from that port and the diffraction from that recessed baffle...sorry that's a little scotch infused...and i'm cranky...nice cosmetics to the build though, kudos on that!
and no doubt an awesome driver to listen to...scotch infused jealousy...sorry!

No you're right on the diffraction part. That is one compromise I was OK with as the goal of that build was a vintage look. The soon to come grilles will be tweaked to (hopefully) eliminate the slight sibilance the diffraction introduced. However, as is they're VERY enjoyable and I'm super thrilled with the outcome.

Now to the port, there's no chuffing at all. The 2062 is a very stiff driver with very little low end extension, so it hardly moves. I'm building a pair of 12" B&C bass modules to accompany the 8" Tannoys, using an Ashly XR1001 electronic crossover and yet another Yamaha power amp.
The B&C drivers are also PA drivers, so hopefully they will keep up with the speed of the Tannoys.

Last edited:
as a semi pickled old Pro Audio soundman i have appreciation for all the components in your upgrade... so don't mind me while i sip this double and deal with my jealousy....

I much appreciate the input. In fact, please feel free to follow along my build thread and chime in anytime. We all stand something to learn from seasoned pros.
Build thread is over at AK, the twin sub build is next in the cue. The Tannoy build starts on page 9: Kraut's New Listening Space | Page 9 | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

They had suggested box build, and it was 33l @ 60Hz. Sounded fast and hard. Then I rebuilt it for 42l @ 42Hz, and it didn´t do that well.
But there is no easier way than trying if you like it...
If it sounds too boomy and slow (and the room is not the cause), then you just add something solid into the box. It will obviously lower the box volume, and increase tuning frequency too.

I use half DIY PA speakers for personal audio system:

The boxes are from MDF from chinese speakers Boyin.
The mounted loudspeakers are A&D Audio. The filter is only for the HF driver, which is 1" and with PVC horn. The mid-bass driver is 10", 250W :)
I'm building a 4 channel P3A amp for them(4x100W), with DSP ADAU1701.
It will looks like this:

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about this particular loudspeaker or perhaps has heard it somewhere?
It looks like the regular PA type Tannoy with perhaps two things different.
the waveguide and the tweeter magnet being neodymium instead of ferrite.
They were introduced around 2010 but cant find any impressions on it.
Thanks and regards, Veeren

Did you ever get the cms1201dc speakers? Very curious to get any feedback on them at all. Thx!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I also like PA speakers. So I basically have a PA system at home - all horn loaded. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/127334-horn-system-8.html#post5946650

It is still work in progress. I am also working on a smaller 3 way with 40 Hz BR subs (RCF LF15X401) and considering going active with RCF ART7x series for the tops. The polar diagrams look great, waterfall plots clean.A lot of PA boxes are very thoroughly measured at Profesionální svÄ›telná a zvuková technika | PRODANCE - search for the model name and find the measurements as "měření" in Czech.

have used jbl eon 615 xo-ed with modified old turbosound folded horn bins powered by 3u gh class amp in my workshop. with little eq it sounded ok, but especialy where turbosound bins were playing, doubt anything hifi could produce that deep bass without loads of intermodulation distortion.

only issue eons have noisy amp.

The main issue i have with pro audio speakers in home settings is that the enclosure is often not set for nearfield listening, and that the amps are not fit for home (lower level class D that is made to go loud and be reliable, not to sound good). But most of the quality drivers itself are very usable in home audio settings, on lower power amps. I've used a Peavy 115xt as sub for at least 10 years before i started to build my own. The amp was a old Yamaha B-4 and that worked very good actually, but not with the sound quality i have now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.