Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

PA speakers for home HiFi use
PA speakers for home HiFi use
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2019, 07:28 PM   #41
cacao ambiance is offline cacao ambiance  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I quite like my:

logic system is8 - sensitive, needs low noise preamps and amps. else you hear the hiss! good sound. yum. quite fond of them

martin ccd6 - yum, need to play with it more, as i got them recently. quite wide dispersion.

Sonance Mariner i like a lot, more than the small kef outdoor speaker. got them with kef speakers as a bundle when i went to try and buy the kef speakers. supprise find, very good one didnt know about them before. good bass for such small things.

extron SI 28 very good 2rd hand price for this size of speaker. not too heavy thx to plastic case. not bad, not that bassy, seams ok for mids, treble. i need to play with it more. dont regret getting it. they where new in box, unused . left over from a install job i guess.

all 2rd for good price searched ebay over the years.

rcf 4 or 5inch... i forget. got them for a steel. £20 each. new in box for 4x . good mids, treble. needs sub for lows.

dear me... quite a lot... well i plan to do immersive surround sound stuff with them all

a good condition mackie bandpass sub for £40, the amp was a lot more expensive to power it. for home use, it shakes the china in the display cabinet . not so good outdoors... really designed for indoors me thinks

Last edited by cacao ambiance; 21st February 2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 9th March 2019, 01:45 PM   #42
KrautNotRice is offline KrautNotRice  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting thread. I do like a good PA speaker for the home, I enjoy the dynamics and speed.
My two main speakers in my listening room at home are Tannoy type 2062 8" in custom built enclosures, and the incredible JBL Studio 580 that shares its 2414H-1 compression driver with the EON series of PA speakers and others.

I don't have any low powered amps, but both pairs of speakers are efficient and easy to drive. Maybe one day I'll have a low powered tube amp. My main amp is a Yamaha P2200 that just idles along.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by KrautNotRice; 9th March 2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 9th March 2019, 02:42 PM   #43
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

i can almost hear the chuffing from that port and the diffraction from that recessed baffle...sorry that's a little scotch infused...and i'm cranky...nice cosmetics to the build though, kudos on that!
and no doubt an awesome driver to listen to...scotch infused jealousy...sorry!
Old 9th March 2019, 02:54 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
i can almost hear the chuffing from that port and the diffraction from that recessed baffle...sorry that's a little scotch infused...and i'm cranky...nice cosmetics to the build though, kudos on that!
and no doubt an awesome driver to listen to...scotch infused jealousy...sorry!
No you're right on the diffraction part. That is one compromise I was OK with as the goal of that build was a vintage look. The soon to come grilles will be tweaked to (hopefully) eliminate the slight sibilance the diffraction introduced. However, as is they're VERY enjoyable and I'm super thrilled with the outcome.

Now to the port, there's no chuffing at all. The 2062 is a very stiff driver with very little low end extension, so it hardly moves. I'm building a pair of 12" B&C bass modules to accompany the 8" Tannoys, using an Ashly XR1001 electronic crossover and yet another Yamaha power amp.
The B&C drivers are also PA drivers, so hopefully they will keep up with the speed of the Tannoys.

Last edited by KrautNotRice; 9th March 2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 9th March 2019, 03:06 PM   #45
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

as a semi pickled old Pro Audio soundman i have appreciation for all the components in your upgrade... so don't mind me while i sip this double and deal with my jealousy....
Old 9th March 2019, 03:12 PM   #46
Crashpc is offline Crashpc  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

12TBX100 at 33l tuned at 56-60Hz sounds veeery fast. :-)
Old 9th March 2019, 03:20 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
as a semi pickled old Pro Audio soundman i have appreciation for all the components in your upgrade... so don't mind me while i sip this double and deal with my jealousy....
I much appreciate the input. In fact, please feel free to follow along my build thread and chime in anytime. We all stand something to learn from seasoned pros.
Build thread is over at AK, the twin sub build is next in the cue. The Tannoy build starts on page 9: Kraut's New Listening Space | Page 9 | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
Old 9th March 2019, 03:44 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashpc View Post
12TBX100 at 33l tuned at 56-60Hz sounds veeery fast. :-)
Those are the drivers. I was planning to go larger in an effort to dig deeper, so I'm following B&C's recommendation of 1.4 cf / 40L tuned to 43hz.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th March 2019, 04:15 PM   #49
Crashpc is offline Crashpc  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

They had suggested box build, and it was 33l @ 60Hz. Sounded fast and hard. Then I rebuilt it for 42l @ 42Hz, and it didnīt do that well.
But there is no easier way than trying if you like it...
If it sounds too boomy and slow (and the room is not the cause), then you just add something solid into the box. It will obviously lower the box volume, and increase tuning frequency too.
Old 9th March 2019, 04:27 PM   #50
JRKO is offline JRKO
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Not PA specific speaker. But Iím using 15inch bass, 10inch mid and 1.4 horn highs

Just a few watts beat you into submission and oh the detail!

PA speakers for home HiFi useHide this!Advertise here!