Looking for DIY audio cable tester

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've started helping a local band with their sound system and running into a few technical problems with running dozens of cables. Does anyone know if there's a circuit for a DIY audio cable tester? I've seen some simple continuity testers, but I want to be able to check balanced XLR cables for shorts and phase reversal too. Looking for a simple but innovative design with a few LEDs which doesn't require switches and fancy circuitry. Thanks.

Google "audio cable tester", and you will see zillions. The $16 one at Guitar Center ought to do fine, but there are a variety on the $30 range. I really couldn't build one for that, and unless you really wanted a project rather than a useful tool, I'd go with the commercial unit. I had a little WHirlwind one I used for years and years, but more recent ones will include Speakons and others, which you will want. These commercial units all will allow you to flex the cables to check for intermits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.