External opinions requested please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey forum, its been a while since ive been around but im working on a new kicker cab for my rig.

ive come up with a design that certainly fits the design brief, that is "to kick like an angry mule"

but im just not sure on what ive drawn matching the numbers.

hopefully this works>

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

edit:

to add to this as a central kick bin to create a harder hitting midbass as im in process of building two more subs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

i wanted something like a USB or a HD215 but according to Hornresp the drivers sim terribly in them.

im chasing 90hz up to 250 or as high as they will feasibly go while still sounding ok.

i had a front loaded design thats pretty much flat from 90 to 500hz (bit wavy but +/-5db)

just gonna be a pain to design the cabinet. i dont trust myself to get it good.

Klampy you can get more kick if you cluster the subs and study up on arraying, having bass cabs separated by an appreciable distance is going to cause cancellations looking at your picture i'd guesstimate that those stacks are 16 feet apart you could be losing spl anywhere between 70Hz and 120 depending on where your standing in the soundfield.
oops just noticed the cleverly disguised subs doubling as a DJ table the notch might be more like 140 territory.

If you can see my picture at all, the driver is on the right, facing into the triangular throat with the magnet in the mouth, it folds around the back to the left and then on the left wall is the mouth opening up against the back of the driver.

It just looks odd to me but if it's right and it'll get me the response I'm chasing then it'll make me happy coz I've got a spare 2x4 sound processor and a spare pair of amp channels :)

but the stub length doesn't seem to be there? if you make a paper template of the schematic and fold it in half so the speaker locations line up you might get the sense of what i see as a problem.
the expansion "shoulders" at the beginning of the mouth area also don't appear to be implemented in the drawing?

I'd prefer to build the front loaded horn coz it Sims flat from 90 to 400hz but it's very precise with it's measurements. A few mm either way and it gets very dippy in the response

So it needs to be a straight horn but it's over a metre long hornpath. I'm not sure a box over a metre deep is appropriate for my purpose

However it'd be perfect as a single cab for bridging the gap of sub to upper mid

Hmm perhaps I should just do it .

not to scale but this is how i see it

Attachments

• IMG_20181205_0002.jpg
    IMG_20181205_0002.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 28
I think I might just end up building it as a front loader and just accept that it'll be fairly large(long)

I wanted this cab to replace my current mt130 but as a tapped horn it'll only fill a tiny gap in response between sub and mid.

The way you've drawn it makes sense but is way more detailed in construction than I had intended.

I'll build a basic unfolded horn and use that as my kick bins.

I may actually be able to draw it up and have a pair built before new years yet.

Got two more SS15 to build too yet.

Edit:
Unfolded should get me the upper frequency needed to meet my upper mid horns too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.