Help with ohms etc 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone tell me what will be the output ohm,s of this set up.
see attachment,
regards

Attachments

• wiring ohms.jpg
    wiring ohms.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 82
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Wiring amplifier outputs in parallel isn't recommended unless the amp was designed with this in mind. The reason is that any slight differences in output level between the two channels will mean that the amplifiers 'fight' each other and try and source and sink current between themselves. That could lead to overheating.

If the amplifiers are already of a bridged type or a Class D type then they would probably suffer immediate damage.

imho only one speaker box to one out of the amp...........
and a mono signal (or only one channel of a stereo signal) at the (paralelled)
input(s)............

a piezo tweeter is a capacitor and has a rather high (frequency dependent) impedance.....

Last edited:
what? not sure i would do that either...i'm a little unclear on the question, are you asking what the output impedance of the amp would be or the speaker load impedance?

and not sure if the"highly artistic" hand rendering is depicting 1/4 inch phone plugs, if it does don't unplug any speakers while the amp is on!

Amplifier is a solid state mixer pa amp, 4 ohms,150 watt.with 1/4 inch jack sockets,say.s on amp sockets wired parallel,
Speakers are no name one eight inch 4 ohm speaker and one piezo tweeter horn that i get no ohms reading from wired parallel.
I need to know if wired as drawing shows,would the overall ohms of speaker cabs be 4 ohms,or lower.?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If the amplifier sockets are wired in parallel internally (so its a mono amp with parallel speaker outlets) then your two 4 ohm speakers will appear as a 2 ohm load to the amplifier.

So you need to be sure the amplifier can handle that low impedance.

The piezo tweeter will read open circuit, that's normal. Two of these also in parallel will not affect the overall impedance by any great amount.

well you have two 4 ohm speakers with some piezzos (and they don't count in terms of load because they're more like a capacitor)
so your left with two choices 2 ohm(two 4 ohm speakers in parallel) or 8 ohm (two 4 ohm speakers in series) short of adding resistance (and resistors don't make sound they convert sound to heat) there's no easy work around...

if your going to change speakers why not get 8 ohm? (or 16 ohm for that matter)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.