Bogen TPU100B no music, help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I have a question about a Bogen TPU100B. We installed a new sip paging device (Algo 8180) to this paging system utilizing this Bogen. Originally I installed it to the "speaker output." Before and after installation the music was playing just fine over the speakers. We were trying to adjust the volume. When the music decided to stop playing. We called tech support for Algo and found out that I was supposed to hook the Bogen into the "Slave speaker" terminals, as the one I hooked it into were for non-amplified speakers.

Also it got to where when we used the paging device, instead of letting us page, it would let the music play until someone hung up the phone to stop the page. We updated the firmware in the Algo and it now lets people speak through the paging system just fine, however it is not allowing the music to play.

Now I'm hoping I haven't fried this Bogen somehow. The paging works perfectly fine however I cannot get the music to come back on. Algo tech support says it cannot be an issue with the Algo and must be an issue with the Bogen.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm very new to Bogen. First time messing with one.

Thanks.

Ok, you got to help me a little and maybe I can get to the bottom of the problem. The 8180 is basically a device that senses a call and emits a some type of audio file. It can power from what I read a speaker from itself. I would use the line level out of the 8180 or run its speaker output thru a transformer(a 70 volt transformer) would do to drop the level down to an acceptable level and once that is done the level/signal could be input to an input (line level) in the Bogan. Doing it this way would pass the file the 8180 emits thru every speaker that the Bogan is connected to.

I would do the following...

I would disconnect the 8180 from the Bogan and see if it still passes signal when the phone receives a call. If so set it aside and proceed to check the Bogan. Input music(line level) into the music input and see if you have level out of the Bogans speaker outputs. If not try another input Aux for example.
You do have a butt set? Un-powered Un-amplified? To listen to the 8180 and the Bogan?

Just so you understand .... Your speakers/horns 25V or 70vcommercial speakers should be attached to the Bogans speaker output. This load should be verified with a speaker impedance meter such as a Sencore, Toa, or the like. The resulting load should be under the rated power of the amplifier with the load less than 80% of the amps capabilities.

Any device used for a source in input into the mixer amps input. If the source has only a speaker output level that level needs to be dropped down to an acceptable line level.

You can feel free to PM me and I will help you trouble shoot your problem.

This should have been straight forward and easy.

I would have inputted the music into the music in on the Bogan. I would have dropped the signal down on the 8180 in input it into the telco input. The operation would have been simple. When the 8180 was activated by a phone call coming in it the music would have automatically muted with a signal into the telco input. The signal from the 8180 would have passed thru and when the phone was hung up the music would have returned after a short pause.

To test.... I would disconnect the 8180 and input music into the music input and after checking the music input control on the Bogan I would have expected to hear music on the speakers/horns. If not I would input music into the Aux circuit after first turning the control down and then slowly turning the Aux input down. if you have music you have trashed the Music input on the Bogan. No music I would expect that you have either taken out another input or the amplifier section of the mixer. Once you have something figured out on the Bogan I would go back to the 8180 with a butt set on its output and once again test it.

Your I can't get music to come back on...

First verify that your music source is good with a butt set. If its good re-check the Bogan by verifying that the Music input control is turned up. This is a common mistake. Still no music out of the Bogan I would suspect that either the telco input the 8180 has noise which is muting the music input or the music input is bad. unplug the 8180 and see if the music comes back.

Sorry didn't read that the paging was working so this rules out the inability of the telco input to pass a signal and it also says the amplifier of the Bogan is ok.

The simple solution if I read correctly would have been to use the 8301 in conjunction with the 8180 and let it take care of the paging and music control. But, that just adds more money into the system.

For the record....

I hate anything Bogan. unfortunately I ran many service calls and fixed a lot of equipment that I would have never considered using. Toa makes good mixer amps and my preferred would be a A900 series II mixer which comes in a 30,60, and 120 watt version with a variety of plug in modules.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.