Help with ohms etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of small PA speakers with one 4 ohm 100 watt 8 inch speaker
and a 8 ohm piezo horn 120 watt.7"x3".
Can i wire this setup ?If so what resistor or capacitor do i need to use to
protect the horn ?
Also if i get a crossover unit for 4 to 16 ohm,how would i go about wiring it up,if possible.(YLY-2088 400W Adjustable 2 way
crossover filters 2 unit audio speaker frequency divider full range treble bass)
regards
Andrew

Attachments

• 1 spkr 4 ohm and 1 piezo horn 8 ohm jpg.jpg
    1 spkr 4 ohm and 1 piezo horn 8 ohm jpg.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Better protection would be a 2.2 uf capacitor in series and a 20 ohm resistor in parallel. It makes a rudimentary first order crossover which actually takes some of the bass signal out of the tweeter. If you use a pre-made “8 ohm” crossover with a piezo, you need an 8 or 10 ohm resistor in parallel with the piezo to make it act like a normal voice coil driver.

Just the resistor alone protects the amplifier from the capacitive load, which could cause oscillation and destroy the tweeter. If you use the RC filter, the cap has enough ESR to prevent oscillation if you use an electrolytic. Don’t waste an expensive film cap on a piezo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.