EQ for Yorkville U15?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, for anyone that uses the Yorkville U15, I'm curious what EQ settings you use. Searching online I found that most folks talking about EQ'ing these are bi-amping them. I am not. I'll be using these outdoors with subs.

I'm using a DCX2496 to EQ them, so I do have parametric EQ available.

Right now I'm using settings I found on another forum:
highpassed at 100Hz; 24dB Butterworth
180Hz; -5dB; Q5.6
352Hz; -2dB; Q4
2510Hz; -4dB; Q2.5
4980Hz; -2dB; Q5.6
7970Hz; -2dB; Q7.1

They sound good (great even), but I'm curious what anyone else uses.

DIY 15" Alpine car subs for subwoofer: low pass 50 Hz 6 dB (default x-over in JRiver, not sure of type.); delay 0.1 mSec

U15 woofer: high pass at 50 Hz, 12 dB, low pass at 300 Hz, 12 dB; delay 0.1 mSec.
U15 mids: high pass at 300 Hz, 12 dB, low pass at 1 K, 6 Db.; delay 0.03 mSec.
U15 "tweeter": high pass at 1K Hz, 24 dB.

Note that I made the mid ports smaller (about 1/2 of original area) to make them more Synergy-like. Also stuffed with foam to make them Geddes-like :) My EQ settings are of course to my own "house curve" but here they are:

Freq, Q, Gain:
172, 2, -8.8
444, 5, 2.7
696, 1.75, 4.3
2482, 1.75, -6.6

This system was tuned as much as I reasonably could (with just REW as a tool) for use in a living room. You may end up with different settings if you are going to blast a room or field full of metal heads :D

Looking back at the first recommended settings you found elsewhere, and what I have set up my pair for, I find it interesting that we both chose cuts at about 170 and 2500, although different Q and cuts.

As for you having no measuring mic. Why not use your ears? EQ by ear such as with 1/3 octave pink noise is better than nothing. That is how I made my personal curve a few years ago. Now REW will use it as the house curve and help me find my EQ based on my measurements of my mutated speakers, listening room and preferences.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.