Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Martin Audio MH212 driver help
Martin Audio MH212 driver help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2018, 03:39 PM   #1
Mrscy is offline Mrscy
diyAudio Member

Default Martin Audio MH212 driver help

Hi all,

I might get 4 Martin Audio MH212 with burned drivers, I am reluctant to replace the same model RCF woofers as they look under powered according to the spec sheet, 150W continuous , with 2 per box yielding a Max 126dB at 1 M.

How good do these cabinets sound and how loud are they?
Has anyone upgraded them to newer more powerful/efficient drivers for better sound quality and higher SPL?

Any further advices?

Regards,
Old 8th November 2018, 03:59 PM   #2
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

This thread might be relevant: The best 12" for the MH-212 MARTIN AUDIO
The European version appears to use different woofers.
Old 9th November 2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Mrscy is offline Mrscy
diyAudio Member

That thread discusses the drivers only, I also need info on how loud and clean they sound.
Old 9th November 2018, 08:55 AM   #4
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

well back when i used them i never worried about about spl or clarity from an mh212 as long as they where being used from 250 hz to 1k.
Old Today, 02:01 PM   #5
thejohn is offline thejohn  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I recently got 12 MH212's out of an old local theatre & hire company.

They had two types of driver used by Martin. Half were the RCF's and the other half the ATC's.
The two driver types used different phase plugs due to the different cone profile and dust cap size.

Two drivers had been re-coned in 1985(!) the rest had original 1979-82 dates. These things have been worked hard in their life so that "low" power rating certainly hasn't been an issue...
(I've found if you turn them up too loud the cones hit the phase plugs and you know you need to add some more to the stack!)

I had quite a few rubbing voice coils when I got these but it turned out that due to damp storage conditions they had corrosion in the gap.
The RCF cones survived the damp still looking like new. Some of the ATC's however, had started to rot.

Remember they will be louder than you expect (if you compare to 2 x 12" direct radiators) because they are 105dB/W/m over their operating range and radiate in a 90 x 40deg pattern over their operating range. Not to mention that the power ratings back then were "continuous sine wave" rather than the "band limited pink noise with x crest factor for a given period of time" of today...

Martin Audio MH212 driver helpHide this!Advertise here!