Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

40mm voice coil diaphragm, where to find?
40mm voice coil diaphragm, where to find?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2018, 08:27 PM   #1
jannozz50 is offline jannozz50  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to jannozz50
Default 40mm voice coil diaphragm, where to find?

Hello!

Iīm looking for a replacement diaphragm with voice coil for my Russian LOMO 1A22 high frequency drivers. So far no luck, not even original piece.
So.. my idea was to find a modern driver with the same voice coil diameter, but again no luck. Can you recommend where I could find something for these drivers? The magnetic cap is exactly 39.9 - 40.1mm wide.

I have a few of these drivers with completely burnt coil and holes in diaphragms, these cannot be restored in any way.

Thanks!
Old 5th November 2018, 06:28 PM   #2
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

I believe Selenium diaphragms would fit. They use also 40mm, but I can measure them just for sure.
Old 5th November 2018, 10:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry. They are indeed 44mm.
Old 6th November 2018, 05:12 AM   #4
Mike Caldwell is offline Mike Caldwell  United States
diyAudio Member

Not only do you need to find the correct voice coil diameter but the coil winding depth and the correct diaphragm profile so it is the correct distance to the phase plug.
Old 7th November 2018, 01:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

A simple Google search told me You can find them on Ebay. Ask the sellers.
Old 14th November 2018, 08:38 PM   #6
jannozz50 is offline jannozz50  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to jannozz50
I need at least four. Ebay is one option, but there are not enough diaphragms to buy.

Mike - Thanks! You are correct. But is there any 40mm ever done besides Russian drivers and where to find them?
Old 14th November 2018, 09:17 PM   #7
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannozz50 View Post
The magnetic cap is exactly 39.9 - 40.1mm wide.
Do you mean polepiece is 39.9mm diameter and plate hole is 40.1mm, leaving a 0.1mm gap?
Thatīs an impossibly narrow gap.

I would expect around 1 mm in general purpose drivers and *maybe* 0.7mm or so in high quality ones.

Now if you mean the voice coil diameter, youīll need to measure with higher precision, better than "between 39.1 and 40.1 mm"

I guess those Lomo drivers were used in Cinema systems in the Soviet era; if so there must still be hundreds or even thousands of them around ... in that case "somebody" bust be making replacements or at least repairing the old ones, even if on the kitchen table or a small shack, itīs a small but intreresting niche market.

FWIW my old custom voice coil supplier here in Argentina would clone *any* driver voice coil you needed, as long as he could justify making 50 or 100 of them, no doubt somebody in the old Soviet Union, or its former area of influence ... even Cuba .... , can do the same.

After all, thereīs a reason you have Lomo drivers and not, say, Altec, JBL or Vitavox

40mm voice coil diaphragm, where to find?Hide this!Advertise here!