Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Behringer NU6000 - Reverse Fan Direction?
Behringer NU6000 - Reverse Fan Direction?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2018, 11:03 AM   #1
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Behringer NU6000 - Reverse Fan Direction?

Hi all,

Just wanted to check something before I do the work.

I have a few Behringer NU4-6000 amps, which cool themselves with a pair of 3" fans that just blow straight through the chassis. The air flow is back to front, and pretty much uninhibited - the chassis is pretty empty, and air is free to flow through.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd like to use them in a rack with amps that have front-to-back cooling, so I'd like to open up the NU4-6000s and flip the fans so they also have front-to-back cooling.
They're rarely pushed to their full capacity as I use them for stage monitors, so usually 8ohm on each channel. Occasionally 4ohm.

I can see that for an amplifier with a complex cooling system that it'd be a problem, but for fans that are pretty much moving air across empty space?

Would that be okay?

TIA,
Chris
Old 27th October 2018, 11:12 AM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The air filter is on the front and by default the air flow should be front to back otherwise fluff can enter the case, there should be a flow direction visible on the fan body.

I would remove and reposition the fans to maintain the correct flow direction.
Old 27th October 2018, 11:29 AM   #3
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Jon,

These amps have no air filters, and are designed as back-to-front.
I have an amp in the rack (Crown MA12000i) that's front-to-back, and am planning on adding more amps with that direction of airflow. I just want to keep a couple of the iNukes for stage monitor purposes.

Chris
Old 27th October 2018, 08:07 PM   #4
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

i've always gone the way of exhausting hot air from the case.
as jon mentioned there is less fluff and small debris that accumulates inside (several seasons of touring and subsequent maintenance have confirmed this to me)
although i've never confirmed this another tech once told me that blowing a fan towards a heatsink increases it's temperature.
Old 29th October 2018, 01:01 AM   #5
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

I Believe those fans are mounted this way, because they provide cooling for all the board components. It cools those inductors and the trafo on the right side.
If You want to swap direction, I would put them at the front, maintaining the same airflow.

...blowing a fan towards a heatsink increases it's temperature.Never heard such a thing, but just try it. (sorry whatever I try I can't get that quote box appearing)
Old 29th October 2018, 02:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAAC0 View Post
(sorry whatever I try I can't get that quote box appearing)
you mean like this?
Old 29th October 2018, 02:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

it may well be myth but like so many things i've heard about and wanted to investigate more fully the time and opportunity never seem to coincide.
Old 29th October 2018, 10:38 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

It is not recommended to suck air in through open vents and trap dust etc in the filter on the way out!
These amplifiers were not made like that, the air flow is from the filter to the exhaust through the components and heat sink, otherwise debris will cover the surfaces inside the amplifier and cause overheating and possible tracking across the high voltage terminals on the power supply.
Old 29th October 2018, 11:03 AM   #9
Cnyg is offline Cnyg  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I haven't that much experience with cooling amps, but have built quite a few computers. For that I prefer the fans to pull air directly from outside the case through a fan filter. Exhaust fan can be added, but you want the fans for exhaust flow to be lower than intake flow to create a positive air pressure inside the case. This prevents dust from entering the case on other places than the air filters at the intake fans.
Old 29th October 2018, 12:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnyg View Post
I haven't that much experience with cooling amps, but have built quite a few computers. For that I prefer the fans to pull air directly from outside the case through a fan filter. Exhaust fan can be added, but you want the fans for exhaust flow to be lower than intake flow to create a positive air pressure inside the case. This prevents dust from entering the case on other places than the air filters at the intake fans.
These amplifier chassis are sealed and should have air guides making the airflow front to rear, as Crown, JBL and most other professional amplifier manufacturers do.

Behringer NU6000 - Reverse Fan Direction?Hide this!Advertise here!