Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Behringer NU6000 - Reverse Fan Direction?
Behringer NU6000 - Reverse Fan Direction?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2018, 10:00 AM   #21
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Fair enough. In hindsight, looks like I jumped on you a bit there. Apologies.

For what it's worth, I do have an older QSC amp that has back-to-front cooling - a USA 850. Still works just fine, although I suspect the PSU caps are due for replacement.

Since I'm moving to front-to-back airflow, wouldn't the filters block the controls to the amps?
How did you work around that?

Chris
Old 6th November 2018, 04:04 PM   #22
ndcraig is offline ndcraig
diyAudio Member

Sorry disregard my suggestion. I mis-read your post and was thinking you were going all rear to front airflow.
I have not done enough installations with NU amps to bother paying attention to their airflow (usually only single-amp builds where it doesn't matter)
But have way too many experiences mixing Crown & Qsc in large racks and the issues that causes.
Old 7th November 2018, 01:42 AM   #23
weissi is offline weissi  Austria
diyAudio Member

It's mostly the PCB that picks up and spreads the heat.
Old 7th November 2018, 08:53 AM   #24
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have heard that blowing air towards a hot object cools it more effectively than sucking air. I presume this is because blowing causes turbulence, which mixes the air at the air layer near the object.

Other than that, there could be thermal sensors somewhere on the board that only see fresh air when you reverse the fans.
Old 8th November 2018, 08:18 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Good to know that high pressure cools better than lower pressure. Any idea what sort of difference it makes? 1%, 10%, 50%..?

I could live with, say, 10%. The thermal capacity is there to drive 2ohm to clipping on all channels, and I'm going to have 8ohm loads most of the time. Occasionally 4ohm on a couple of channels.

Chris
Old 8th November 2018, 11:34 AM   #26
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry I do not have data on that. What I can find on the internet is mostly about CPU cooling, for which it appears there is not a large difference and that it depends on the heat sink geometry which direction works best.
Fan and heatsink - suck or blow? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

Never mind.
Old 8th November 2018, 03:04 PM   #27
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

with the lack of any conclusive data as to which is best i still hope to test this myself to find out.

i'm thinking something like a data logger and a few temperature probes should do it..?
Old 9th November 2018, 06:58 AM   #28
weissi is offline weissi  Austria
diyAudio Member

If you want to be 100% sure, why not add 2 additional fans like I've illustrated here. I believe that in my iNuke1000 the fans are running on 24V, so make sure you get the right ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (157.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 9th November 2018, 08:42 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
with the lack of any conclusive data as to which is best i still hope to test this myself to find out.

i'm thinking something like a data logger and a few temperature probes should do it..?
My plan so far is a bit more crude:

- Switch amp on, let it sit for half an hour or so to get to thermal equilibrium.
- Connect worst-case load (on an NU6000, that'd be 4ohm on each side)
- Pink noise/sine tone/whatever, up to clip
- Time how long it takes to go thermal and shut down.

Open it up, reverse fan direction and repeat.

A data logger and some thermal probes would be a nicer way of doing it, for sure.

Weissi, I'd be worried about overloading the 24V supply with additional fans, but simply moving them to that side of the board might work. I guess the fans would need some kind of baffle, though, or they'll just short-circuit.

Chris
Old 9th November 2018, 09:37 AM   #30
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

i was thinking of monitoring actual heatsink temps over time with all amps in a rack.

i asked my brother in law that works for a company doing HVAC and he couldn't tell me which airflow direction would be better but did state that on all the units the fans are mounted to exhaust air from the enclosure. amps are not hvac units and there could several reasons for the industry using that particular airflow direction that are not directly related to cooling such as introducing dirt and debris.

for your test are you planning a "dummy" load or actual speakers?
i would go with low frequency square waves as a test signal.

Behringer NU6000 - Reverse Fan Direction?Hide this!Advertise here!