Enquiry about hooking up a pair PA Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, fairly simple question i'm sure for the large majority of you, however I would like to know how to correct hook up two PA Speakers, to be a connected to a laptop.

Currently I use a 'Dual 1/4" TS to Minijack (3.5mm)' with,

one 1/4" jack into one input of the left speaker and the other 1/4" jack into one input of the right speaker. Whilst the 3.5mm into the laptop.

Now because i'm only using one input of each speaker does this mean that both speakers are hooked up incorrectly.

Should I be using the Dual 1/4" into both inputs of one speaker and link an xlr to the next?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Jordan

Hi Jordan:

For Stereo it is the correct the way You've connected. Each channel to each speaker.
For mono operation You would feed the two inputs to one speaker and then link the "link output" to the other speaker, or sum L & R signals before at the 1/4 jack for example.
The speaker unused input You can use for mixing a mike for example. If You use both You will loose one input channel. There are usually 2 inputs.
There are speakers like the Yamaha DXR series in which there is a switch where You can link both channels summed (for mono) or only one of the channels to the other speaker (for stereo).
For example, those speakers have 3 input channels Mono XLR, Double Jack & Double RCA.
There are also speakers in which the XLR connections provide more sensitivity for connecting mikes and the Jack input has some sort of attenuation for line level (Your case) like those on mixing desks. Others have a MIC / Line switch or the attenuation is set with the gain pot (First half for line and last half way section for mikes.)

Bear in mind, that if Your laptop PSU is grounded (3 prong) You will hear CPU / HDD / Mouse noises through the speakers. In my case, I first used a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter in order to cut the ground. … After reading about safety issues, now I'm using an ungrounded (2 prong) aftermarket PSU. There are several … "other methods" … for fighting this sort of ground loops.

any particular brand speakers?
on pro product it's common to have parallel 1/4 inch jacks to allow multiples to be daisy chained.
your current configuration seems correct.

putting the output of the laptop into parallel inputs on one speaker will sum the outputs to mono and if the stereo mix has large pan/phase the sum will be "karaoke" like in that vocals will be drowned out or non existent and some instruments will sound weird not to mention that you be losing "stereo"
the XLR is a parallel feed just like the 1/4 inch line but it's balanced instead of single ended. (no XLR's are not used for stereo pin 2 is hot+ pin3- same signal)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.