Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

wireless microphones and phantom power
wireless microphones and phantom power Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2018, 12:51 PM   #1
raysor is offline raysor  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default wireless microphones and phantom power

Hi everyone, I need help regarding wireless microphones and phantom power,
somehow or other I find myself involved with a small performing group putting on shows to raise money for charities. The mixing desk is and old one with 6 XLR inputs and global phantom power, there is a mixture of mics involved, dynamic, condenser and wireless and all needed at the same time. What would be the best way to handle this, any advice appreciated.
Old 4th October 2018, 01:17 PM   #2
MAAC0 is offline MAAC0  Portugal
diyAudio Member

If You have problems with the wireless mics, disable desk's phantom power and insert a 48V PSU between the condenser mic and the desk.
I have some wireless AKG's that don't like the desk's phantom power switched on.
You can always try a new Yamaha MG10 or 12 channel desk, since there will be probably less noise because of new circuitry.
Old 4th October 2018, 01:41 PM   #3
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Condenser mics require phantom power, dynamic and wireless do not.
Phantom power on a dynamic mic is fine as pins 2 & 3 are at the same potential. If your wireless mic has balanced output, it will be fine. If it uses pin 2 of the XLR as signal and pin 3 is connected to pin 1, it will disable the phantom power. Use an Aux input instead for the wireless mic.
Old 4th October 2018, 05:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you MAACO and JonSnell for your quick reply's, the mixer does have XLR connections, I will find a suitable length of an XLR cable to make up two lines, as there are two receivers, placed about 4 feet away up high with line of sight to the transmitters. with pin 3 connected to pin 1 and mark them up for wireless receivers only.
You both have given me alternatives that I would never have thought about, thanks a lot.
Ray.
Old 4th October 2018, 06:21 PM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That doesn't seem like a good idea. Most wireless mic receivers with XLR outputs are built to deal with phantom power. They don't need it, but are protected against it - for obvious reasons. Pin 3 to pin 1 ground will short out the phantom power. That's probably OK for that input, but might not be OK for the other inputs. Just depends on how the mixing deck is wired.
Old 5th October 2018, 02:55 AM   #6
conanski is offline conanski  Canada
diyAudio Member

There should be no problem even with everything connected to the XLR inputs, if for some reason the wireless receivers don't like being fed phantom power simply connect them to the TRS jacks on the same channels which will bypass the mic preamps and phantom, or to a set of line input channels. Most wireless receivers have a switch or level control to accomodate both types of inputs.
Old 6th October 2018, 11:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for the quick replies and helpful advice, I see that you all agree on that I can use an XLR cable from wireless receiver to mixer and phantom power should not be an issue, or use the 1/4 inch unbalanced output from the receiver to a Aux in or a line in on the mixer. I have my first rehearsal with them next week, will let you know how I get on.
Old 6th October 2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yep, if you have 1/4" line in, that's the ticket. Let us know.
Old 13th October 2018, 03:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone,
Had my first meeting with the group this week, they are 22 strong, but can't say the same for the equipment they have been using.
Mixing desk I yet have to find out the make, two amps by pulse of 75 watts each, no idea of the Ohm rating. 2 unknown speakers with jack only inputs and 250 watts into 8 Ohms, speaker stands with no support pins and locking screws with only half a handle to dig into your hand, mic stands are very lightweight tripod types with spring clip mic holders and unable to adjust for height as they don't lock into any position without sliding down, miles of cables all 1/4 inch jack plugs, of a thin gauge and in poor condition, 2 dynamic mics, fixed cable to jack, 2 condenser mics that have had a hard life by the dents in them, the 2 wireless receivers are by "CAM" with two mics to each receiver, nothing has a PAT label attached. I cant believe that this is the gear that has been used by them. I will need to check the mixer and the speakers, if ok, all the other items need replacing, other wise it's a case of a complete system.
Awaiting the groups decision. I'm no expert just a person that likes being involved with PA etc. I would be interested in what people here on the forum would do.
Old 13th October 2018, 05:19 PM   #10
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

yikes sounds kind of like the typical "bar" PA!
hope they have "some" budget to upgrade with...sounds like an uphill climb,both ways,with no shoes on!
i will pray that you can get some info on this mystery mixer. can you upload some pic's?

wireless microphones and phantom powerHide this!Advertise here!