Problems with wireless microphone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I am having major issues with a wireless mic set-up. It it a headset and bodypack for Audio 2000's AWX6030H on a UHF frequency.

I set it up before the event, test it and it works fine. When the event starts there are 20 or more people present he microphone then just doesn't seem to work correctly, sound either fails all together or comes and goes, or seems crackly.

After the meeting has finished and most have left, I test it again and it works fine. Initially I thought it was the equipment but after testing it before and after the event, I am struggling to find the cause and/or a solution. Our hand held mic works just fine and that's what we have to switch to using when the bodypack doesn't work.

Our building is on an empty lot so I'm not sure what could be interfering. This is the second bodypack wireless mic that we've had this issue with.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Where is the receiver located?

Where is the bodypack located on the person using it?

Wireless systems work best when there is direct line of sight between Tx and Rx. If it so happens that the wireless user is putting their body between the transmitter and receiver when it is in use that will reduce signal strength and any other interference present like a room full of cell phones can further reduce the usable range. If you have a typical setup with FOH at the rear of a room and the wireless user places the bodypack on the rear of their body this explains why the headset has problems but a handheld works.

Things you can try.
A. Elevate the receivers on a stand at FOH so they are overhead.
B. Place the headset receiver on stage behind the wireless user.

We have tried putting the bodypack in many locations, front top pocket, front lower pocket, clipped onto belt loop in the back, having the bodypack rest on the podium.

the receiver is about 2 and a half feet off the ground on a bench set and the speaker is diagonally to the left of the receiver about 5 feet away.

In the past the bodypack work several times with no issue but then it started to go bad, we got a new mic of the same version as the old one and worked fine two times and then we haven't been able to get through a whole lecture since then

The problem here in Europe is the 700 & 800 MHz band are crowded by digital terrestrial TV and 4G and the now the emerging 5G.
500 MHz Band shouldn't be affected, but with lot of people, there is also a thing called multiple signal reflection.
Have You tried messing with the squelch controls ?
2 1/2 feet is table height. I would put the receiver overhead and away from the speaker if it is powered by and SMPS. The SMPS or something else near by (led lighting, laptop etc) could be radiating HF.
You can also try to extend the bodypack antenna to help.
Make sure it's straight and the receiver antennas are in a 45º position and not straight up or horizontal.
We use 50mW mikes for wedding cake ceremonies, where the wedding couple is 60-70 feet away from the DJ Booth in the outside garden. 10mW drop out. Sometimes there is also a violin or a sax playing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.