Advice on diy cab for small band p.a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've been on the p.a forum asking a few questions and think this next question is for this forum.

I'm considering changing my old HK compact classic set up (2 150w 12 inch subs and 2 150 w 12 inch tops) with a DIY system.

Reason for DIY is to build for pleasure not to save money!

The subs I have have no real definition, punch or power. The goal is rig for my band 9
, and ones I do very amateur sound for, playing to 100odd people in pubs or small village halls. Music is rock through to jazz.

In have 1400w amp and 200w amp currently, but will get more as required.

I've read a little about various designs but wonder what design best suits kick drum and bass guitar and goes high enough to run with some form of 12 inch top.

I think the HK tops are o.k and may get used forntops in new rig but they are rather nasty at 4k and need some eq to sound smoother. Also a little underpowered!

Need to fit rig in a small car so Titan 48s or similar size not really practical!

Cheers,

Al

Cheers mate, had a look at the plans. I'm not sure if the 12 inch band pass is suitable or not for the application. I seem to recall lots of sub but little 'kick' from this kind of cab. Is that fair?

Is a tapped or front loaded horn a better bet or similar or is a reflex cab more suited...?

Cheers,

Al

Mates will ask you about performance target before help you.
  • Size
  • Frequency response
  • Efficiency
  • Maximum SPL

FLH isn't the best choise for small gigs.

If you prefer smaller size go for BR
If you prefer higher efficiency go for Tapped horn.
Bandpass probably will stay in the middle.

From what I read here and in the other thread a BR would be the best choise. You can buy the drivers overpowered, and replace just amps in near future.

Low = BR 18" (drivers with low VAS for compact size)
Mids = BR 12" (drivers with low QTS for better intellegibility)
High = 2 x CD + Horn with wide horizontal dispersion

In addition, BR gives you a lot of freedom to set up crossover

thank you very much for the advice , apologies for being vague about specs, I'd guess about 45 Hz to at least 100, but higher better, size up 2 ft X 3 ft X 3 ft ISH, sol, not so sure, but efficient is always good used to record 115 dB when I was back in clubs on large systems, seemed way too loud to me, but was only a cheap meter!

thanks for the knowledge shared,
.Al

A single 15" can achieve your target for sub easily in a BR.

Find for drivers with at least 600W nominal power handling
Fs < 42Hz
Sensitivity > 96bB
VAS < < 150L
QTS < 0,4
XMAX > 7mm

it's an objetive starting point

After find driver that are under your budget, initiate some simulation using Hornresp software so it will help you in the decision process

that's very helpful, thank you, I shall definitely look at your recommendation and get learning hornresp and speccing out some drivers. i think a BR probably would work better as a build for me as it's been a while since the saw has been used in anger ...&#55357;&#56832;,

all the best,

Al

You just need a couple of these and some kilowatts:
Teeny tiny PA 15" subwoofer

Pictures are on the last page (Photobucket ate any earlier ones), and more on the website in my signature.

They're very good cabs. I've done all sorts with them, quite often just using a pair of them. Some more discussion of it here:
Chris's "Teeny tiny PA 15" sub (Horn) - Final Version?

Let me know if you've got any questions, or if you're ever near Sheffield for a demo.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.