Battery Based Audiophile. reboot . R2.2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Linc
On the 7 shipping container home it is planned to have up to 22Kw of panels (46)

Sam's could have a fair few also, at a guess 12 x 300w modules on tilt frames. Unknown as to weather the micro home is going off the grid as there is a fair associated cost in procurement of the hardware, but just over $10K would get something reasonable enough to run an electric kettle plus everything else.

Installed 2 window frames into Sam's place today with 2 more to go. All the 4 window cut outs are done.

Attachments

• Proposal Plans Rev 2.pdf
    531.8 KB · Views: 72
Passive Crossover development for 1 watt on the big rig

So some minor discoveries

The big rig went passive and using some tiny amps.
Astonished to achieve 100dB to 20Hz without a problem in room on a couple of watts so going to develop a simple crossover, passive attenuation and see what happens.

:)
Graph depicts an un gated initial measurement of the 21's, close mic on upper driver, lower driver, port and overall at a meter

Attachments

• IMG_5444.JPG
    IMG_5444.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 145
  • rough enough for me .JPG
    rough enough for me .JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 137
So been playing about trying to find an up to date compact PC to serve digital to the front end of the rig and do it fairly cheaply. For those that know me PC cases and fans are not usually used as the fans can be noisy and the cases look big and bulky.

Had a few goes at some different hardware and came up with this one

1, Win In Chopin Case (1.7 litre) tiny
2, Gigabyte H170N Micro ATX
3, INTEL Pentium 2 core with hyperthreads 3.8GigHz LGA1151
4, GTX1030 GPU discrete graphics
5, M.2, 258 Gig SSD
6, after market cooler
7, Bronze 80 series Seasonic 150w SMPS PSU
8, 8 Gig, Ram, 2400MHz

All that really mattered to me was, it had to have SPDIF on board, which it does in a fashion with optical output. This cuts down on the component count even more for the big rig, now down to 2 power amps, the PC and a Burson Conductor (DAC)

So, no more DSP at all, all passive filtering for the system
DSP may be used for subs and the 21's and in the pro arena, so not completely out of the picture..Well not until a passive solution turns up anyway :)

Very glad I got off of the DSP wagon. miniDSP and the Ultimate Pre, in another mans words
"Mid Fi at Best" nothing in them to make me believe they are uncompromising class act HiFi and if possible, if you want to get somewhere from here, get rid of em.

Is a very deep rabbit hole

Anyway, photo of the Burson and new PC, which is actually a 4K smashing HiFi music and media server that for me sounds great.
Fan noise is actually so low I can't hear them 99 % of the time, only in the dead of night as the noise floor drops below 40dB in the lounge.

Also gone to W10, it's not as friendly as W7, but going with the flow and hope that the next iteration of OS will be a little better. Using W Media Player as the old MPC can't be used as a default, sadly.

One thing of note is the new PC and it's optical is rather high in output and has monstrous dynamics, well worth the clams shelled out.

Have a great weekend :angel:

Attachments

• IMG_5493.jpg
    IMG_5493.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5494.JPG
    IMG_5494.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 99
This project has come about after about 4 years of building PC's in search of a good sounding one, still to be bested is the 24v DC Intel Skylake 2 core 16Gig, but that's another story

After a week of run time all is well with the new media surfer, what a beaudy

It's lightening fast accessing media faster than I've witnessed before on any of my older PC's and there have been a lot

0 noise floor

Plays everything thrown at including 4 K :) at 60fps

A USB BluRay Drive and some software means blu disk is back on the menu which is nice. (case won't take an optical drive)

On board M.2 memory is stunningly agile, seems SATA drive is a limitation bested with the M.2.

Consumes 50w or less !!!!!! With superior speed, power and general agility from W10 and the 14nm micro

Nice upgrade and all around improvement for the very front of the rig which is completely and uttery different from this time last year, was about the build the 21" Twins

Current config.

New PC
TosLink to

Burson Conductor (DAC) unbalanced to Y Connector to

HOLTON Prototype 050 R1.0 driving JBL HF

X Brand D Class crapper amp and 50w wall wart, driving the Twin 21's (mainly for OMFG WTF factor) and yea, it does that fine.

All passive crossovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.