Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

DIY Yorkville U15 clone (Unity horn/multiple entry horn)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2018, 10:41 PM   #1
gj00023 is offline gj00023  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Yorkville U15 clone (Unity horn/multiple entry horn)

I'm seriously considering cloning the Unity half of a Yorkville U15. This is for outdoor PA use, not home hifi.

For those who don't know, a U15 uses a 15" driver for the low end, and a 15" conical multiple entry horn for the mids and highs. The horn uses 3 mids (5") and 1 compression driver. Yorkville dealers will sell the horn, mids and compression driver by themselves. Cost will be about $700 for the pair.

I have the following questions:
  1. Does anyone have a schematic for the crossover circuit? GOT IT!
  2. Does anyone know the crossover frequencies and slopes? GOT IT!
  3. The U15P has a digital crossover/dsp. Any info on its crossover points, slopes, and notch filters? GOT IT!
  4. Is there a compression driver cheaper than the specified BMS 4550 that would be suitable? They're ~$170 (each), so it's about half of the cost for this project. I'll be using DSP so it doesn't have to be a perfect match for the BMS 4550.
  5. Has anyone done this project? It seems like the easiest way to get a pair of multiple entry horns going on a budget.

Last edited by gj00023; 11th September 2018 at 06:10 PM. Reason: words
Old 11th September 2018, 12:10 AM   #2
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

1) The schematic for the crossover circuit and parts lists are in the service manual:
YORKVILLE U15 SERVICE MANUAL Pdf Download.
2-3) The various crossover frequencies and slopes can be inferred from the "U15 Analog.ATS2" chart also in the service manual. Plenty of EQ used!
4)Any different drivers would require a different crossover design.
With the approximately 24dB/1200 Hz HF crossover used, there are certainly cheaper drivers available that could work, though doubt you'd find any that would work as well as the BMS driver the system was designed around.
Assistance Audio might have better BMS pricing than Yorkville.
Jack Arnott, owner of AA frequents DIY.
5)Most have found used U15s the "easiest way to get a pair of multiple entry horns" rather than buying them "one piece at a time" ;^).

Art
Attached Images
File Type: png U15 Xover.png (122.6 KB, 526 views)

Last edited by weltersys; 11th September 2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Many thanks! I'm so surprised that the manual has the complete crossover circuit. That's a pretty wild EQ. At this point I think I'll probably just do it with DSP using an RTA mic for guidance. It'll be simpler than building a physical crossover and it'll open up the possibility of using a cheaper compression driver.

I checked Assistance Audio and it was only a few dollars cheaper for the BMS 4550.

Haha, yeah, I'd buy used if it were an option. I live in an extremely remote area so it's fairly unlikely. I do check ebay, but there's none for sale.
Old 11th September 2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

For hifi use, Bill Waslo's Small Syns are hard to beat. Here's why:

Click the image to open in full size.

As I understand it, the Yorkville Unity was designed by someone at Yorkville and they licensed the technology. No idea if the license was from Sound Physics Labs or Danley Sound Labs. I'd assume the former, since they had the (now expired) patent.

So, the first strike is that Danley didn't do the design or the crossover.

The second strike is that conical horns exhibit an on-axis dip due to their symmetry. That's why JBL, QSC, 18Sound, etc, they all use asymmetrical horns.

The third strike is that there's no roundover on the horn. You really want a roundover, it makes everything better. Frequency response, imaging, etc. It's a no-brainer.

The fourth strike is that BMS 4550. That's a lovely compression driver, but you're right, it eats up half your budget.

Bill's design is smaller, it costs less, the compression driver is a third of the cost of a BMS 4550, it's horn is asymmetric. The only downside is that the waveguide is no longer available AFAIK.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I appreciate the reply. I can't argue with any of that, but with the SEOS15 waveguide NLA, it's irrelevent.
This is for outdoor PA use, not home hifi, by the way.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:28 PM   #6
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Ah OK. For an outdoor PA, that makes sense.
Old 12th September 2018, 12:12 AM   #7
magig160 is offline magig160  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have U15 but I didn't spend too much time on them right now because I miss time but I can say that from what I've heard I must agree with Patrick. There is a problem with the design himself and the crossover. It is easy to detect just by ear. The crossover and in the delay they used (I have the passive version) are wrong. I'm not sure I'll spend too much time on them , because I wanted a ''hifi' loudspeaker. I might sell them for this reason.

By the way they sound big and I'm sure for a PA used there are okay
Old 12th September 2018, 12:40 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magig160 View Post
I have U15... I might sell them...
If you can ship them to California 96039, PM me. ; )
Old 12th September 2018, 06:03 PM   #9
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The only downside is that the waveguide is no longer available AFAIK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gj00023 View Post
I appreciate the reply. I can't argue with any of that, but with the SEOS15 waveguide NLA, it's irrelevent.
I asked Erich about that -- his reply:"
Quote:
I've never told anyone that they were no longer available, so that seems strange. I've told people that the ones I currently have are allocated
to the kits but that I would be getting in more soon. I don't mind you telling people that.
So -- the SEOS15 IS still available (but may take a few weeks to get at the moment).
Old 12th September 2018, 06:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
I asked Erich about that -- his reply:"

So -- the SEOS15 IS still available (but may take a few weeks to get at the moment).

Good to know! Not enough dBs for my PA horns I think (which is what this thread is about) but they'd work in my livingroom!

DIY Yorkville U15 clone (Unity horn/multiple entry horn)Hide this!Advertise here!