Event set up help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have setup similar systems under similar high background noise situations and found a different way to do it, using more "humble", available everyday components.

I took advantage of SPL dropping 6dB for each distance doubling, at least for point sources ... which the chainsaw is.

What you are currently trying to do is set up the "demonstration bench" or wherever the chainsaw is being used at, say, 6 meters in front of the (small) crowd, then set speakers in the same line, to right and left of gthe chainsaw, so they end up being *more* than 6 meters away (basic Geometry) .
In that case, yes, you will need HUGE SPL oozing from those speakers, enough to match and beatb the noisy chainsaw ... a tall order.

What I did was *surround* people with speakers, real close, and obviously focusing sound in the inside of that semi-circle, SPL inside that area rises *dramatically* , both Physical measurable SPL and for Psychoacoustics reasons, we hear better what is close by.

By the same mechanism we can hold a conversation with somebody sitting at our table in a very noisy Restaurant.

I used a line of 2 to 4 wedge floor monitors 1 or 1.5 meters in front of the front seats, and two large loud PA cabinets , 2 meters right and left of seats, pointing to the "center of mass" of the crowd ... sound inside was scary loud, articulate, and beat very loud noise coming from "outside", as long as it´s, as I suggested , some 6 meters away which is fine for your demo.
I guess you don´t want people covered in wood chips, do you? :)

I had originally used a similar "short distance" based system for the Moscow Circus, many years ago.

They had visited Buenos Aires after many years and brought minimal equipment and no tents, thinking they would flop ... they became a raging success and had to go on Tour all over the Country renting local Circuses tents, trucks, etc. , no time to ship the heavy equipment from Russia.

They assembled a HUGE 3 ring tent, 90 meters long by 45 meters wide ... held a lot of people but "no sound system covered it" as needed, think a Sports Stadium under (3) tents.

Plus they played massive Cossack choirs (on tape), and 1812 Overture cannon in some acts, they needed a LOUD and clean system which to boot could not obstruct people´s view.

I used narrow long sound columns hanging from the structure, one every 5 meters, each one some 5 meters above people´s heads, plus subwoofers under the seats.

Sound was loud, crystal clear, and people jumped in their seats with cannon blasts.

Yet Clowns o Magicians or anybody inside the rings could speak in a natural voice, no feedback whatsoever.

Distance is a problem in PA systems, but sometimes can be used to advantage.

EDIT:no need to commit $$$ on this yet, you can rent those PA components (wedge floor monitors and a couple full size cabinets), set it up once like I suggested, with chainsaw, people, the real deal, and give it a try.
Then you decide.

Update (turk sry if you're disappointed, I know you invisioned big and appreciate it). Jmf, if I'm following the setup you're describing it's the way we were thinking. To drop the chainsaw carving demo area back and put the sound system between that and audience area.

We came across a setup that was near by and could try out. I was doubtful the system would cut it since theres very little known on these speakers, but figured it couldn't hurt to check out. The sound out of these blew my saw away. At half amp power the system can literally drown the saw out without any sound baffling to the saw. And this was with a building behind the saw deflecting all noise crowd forward. Zero distortion all around crisp clean sound with great base.

The set up : four 10" BSA professionals 150w 8ohm full range speakers 50-18,000 htz on stands pushed with an accusonic psa3900 amp and Behringer mixer. Proper placement and set volume / amperage we're able to mate the sound track to the saw noise so the sound track isn't any louder than a saw running full out but heard clearly over the saw in the background from the crowds position.

Jmf, if I'm following the setup you're describing it's the way we were thinking. To drop the chainsaw carving demo area back and put the sound system between that and audience area.

We came across a setup that was near by and could try out.
I was doubtful the system would cut it since theres very little known on these speakers, but figured it couldn't hurt to check out. The sound out of these blew my saw away. At half amp power the system can literally drown the saw out without any sound baffling to the saw. ..... Zero distortion all around crisp clean sound with great base.

The set up : four 10" BSA professionals 150w 8ohm full range speakers 50-18,000 htz on stands pushed with an accusonic psa3900 amp and Behringer mixer. Proper placement and set volume / amperage we're able to mate the sound track to the saw noise so the sound track isn't any louder than a saw running full out but heard clearly over the saw in the background from the crowds position.

Glad it worked as you wanted :p

I had suggested floor monitors so as not to obstruct vision but if you could set up your pole mounted speakers without blind spots, excellent :D

Also curious about those BSA10" speakers.
Googling seems to indicate that BSA is just a shop brand or something, since they also sell Jensen and other brands, they don´t seem to be a Manufacturer but best case a reseller of some custom made OEM speaker, so please post a picture of yours if at all possible (we want to see what cabinets they are mounted in) or at least a direct clickable link to the specific BSA10" speaker, there are quite a few of them. Thanks.

EDIT: @Turk182 : googling BSA speaker cabinets found this, maybe it´s the first one:

BSA SPEAKERS

looks like generic "plastic box" 2 way passive speakers to me:

BSA10_300_small.JPG

Last edited:
i guess we're not going to get to see the speakers?

Sorry turk, I wasn't ignoring your request. I figured I'd would take a pic when I set it all back up and was trying to learn more in the mean time. From what I was informed (true or not I don't know) JBL suposidly bought them out. They don't look like much. Gauranteed first thoughts are a cheap in home speaker. Honestly idk how these punch out the sound as strong and clean as they do. So I'm going to give you guys an idea of what I have behind them the best I can. Hopefully the pic attachments worked.

The amp behind these is rated 450w per side output at 4ohm
I have not pushed the system to light up the amp clip indicators. From what I understand I'm running 300w @ 4ohms per side with 2 of these speakers on each side. Amp cranks to 30db, at 26db I just begin to flicker the mixers meter in the start of the red +4

If there's any info I can get you from these let me know. I'd like to know why they perform the way they do too.

Attachments

• 20180915_104808.jpg
    20180915_104808.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20180915_104854.jpg
    20180915_104854.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 63
Thanks.
Now I´d LOVE to see what that piece of blue tape covers.

Although I would not be surprised at : "Made in China/PRC/Malaysia/Singapore/Hong Kong/pick one"

Which does not means they perform badly, as you already used them with good effect. :)

Just don´t let the amplifier clip or distort ... I would also try to avoid prolonged feedback and microphone squeals.

Thanks.
Now I´d LOVE to see what that piece of blue tape covers.

Although I would not be surprised at : "Made in China/PRC/Malaysia/Singapore/Hong Kong/pick one"

Which does not means they perform badly, as you already used them with good effect. :)

Just don´t let the amplifier clip or distort ... I would also try to avoid prolonged feedback and microphone squeals.

Honestly, the blue tape isn't covering anything. Being new to all of this the person I bought the setup from was very helpful and color coded everything for hook up. So there's blue tape on 2 of the speakon cables and one side of the amp output too 😁.

The guy sounded like they supply sound equipment for events. Apparently they had several of these speakers at one time and would use them for marathons placing a speaker every 250'. All I know is I live in a fairly secluded area deep in the bush. Neighbours are quite a distance apart. When I fired up a test track I was happy. When I shut that track down my first thought was don't do that too much or I'm sure to get the cops here. Wasn't until I shut it down I realized how that was resonating through the woods.

ok they are the same one's. thanks for the pic's Wolfcreek

nice to see you've got a working solution/system.

what's that old philosophy statement...something to the effect of "if a BSA speaker fall over in the woods and there's no one there to hear does it still make a sound?"

sorry for trying to turn your presentation into the Superbowl Half Time Show (PS i still think Jackyl should be your opening act!)

Ever consider an electric chain saw (and a super quiet Honda generator)?

(Or maybe that's a non-starter because the smell of burning fuel and the signature ring-a-ting-ting and LOUDNESS of a revving two-cycle saw is part of what draws in your target audience's. After all, no Teslas or Priuses at the Monster Truck shows)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.