Complete amateur looking for guidance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

I am a member of a small veterans organization and we have recently acquired some audio equipment in order to provide music during our occasional events. I have been asked to assemble the items for use, however I've zero experience with audio equipment. Hopefully someone with the necessary background can assist me. I contacted one of the companies, however they did not seem very sure of the proper connections.

The items I have are a Pyle P3001AT, and 4 Nady MC8 Speakers. The speakers are 150w (75rms) 8ohm. The owners manual for the tuner states 8ohms, 1khz test 3000w x2. I realize the tuner is significantly more power than the speakers are designed for, however it is all we have and funds are tight. There are four connections on the rear A- L&R, and also B- L&R. I understand series versus parallel wiring, but am confused on where or which way to connect the speakers to the tuner.

Could someone please provide guidance for me so that I do not cause more harm than good? The Pyle rep stated that I should simply connect each of the four speakers to the four outputs. Is that correct?

Thanks to anyone who would be able to assist.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Nady are 4 ohm speakers, it's normally not a god idea to connect 2 per channel, as you'd then have a 2 ohm load.

But the Pyle amp is rated to drive 2 ohms so you should be good to go just connecting it all up. One speaker per output terminal.

But the Pyle amp is rated to drive 2 ohms so you should be good to go just connecting it all up. One speaker per output terminal.

Although I can't be sure, products in this (low) price range often claim 2 Ohm stability, while they're clearly not designed with such loads in mind.

This 3000 W amplifier claims two times 850 Watt Peak @ 2 Ohms, 550 Watt Peak @ 4 Ohms and 300 Watt Peak @ 8 Ohms. God knows what they actually deliver.

Personally I would suggest hooking up 2 cabinets per channel in series.

Johan

Connect one speaker only to the tuner on the L or R A channel out.
Set the switch to A+B.
Do You have sound ? --> Tuner connects speakers internally in parallel, halving the impedance seen by the power amp. (8=8==4)
You don't have sound and must also connect the second speaker to B ---> Tuner connects them in series doubling the impedance seen by the power amp (8+8==16).

Since You have four identical 150W peak 8 ohm speakers, I would connect 2 to each channel in series, since with that configuration the impedance will double and the combination will handle double the power.
Are You sure it's 300W @8 Ohm peak for the amp or is it RMS or AES ?
That would be 600W peak, double the speakers power.

But ...I'm sure You are going to blow those 75W speakers, unless You play low volume don't clip the amp and don't drop the mike on the floor.

It's just Ohm law math. For a given Amp Voltage and a given Speaker Impedance, calculate the Amperage. The higher it is, the faster it will blow underpowered speakers.

If You have some nice cabinets, try to find some more powered nice PA drivers for Them.
If You have a multimeter play some white noise thru the amp at onset of clipping. Measure the Output AC Voltage. Feed in the Impedance to the Ohm's formula and Compute the real Wattage. Use other speakers for this test !!

+1 on connecting them in series .

"1500W PMPO" per channel should mean about 200W RMS each if they were moderate in the PMPO factor, say 8:1 or some 125W RMS if they stretched it a bit, say 12:1 .
In any case such power into an 8 ohm load , both in series, is WAY more matched than same amp into a 2 ohm load.

"2 ohm stable" is salesman´s babble and actuall does not mean it will *drive* a 2 ohm load, just that won´t instantly explode on such connection and *maybe* can deliver *some* music into it, at reduced power and for a few minutes.

IF it could *drive* 2 ohm loads it would state so clearly, wouldn´t it?

He, I bet most *any* amp is probably *one* ohm stable :eek: , just don´t feed any signal into it or extract no more than, say, 1 W RMS and for a couple minutes.

My point: it´s a meaningless spec and on par with PMPO Watts.
And: why blow amp and speakers while a series connection can fill that hall with voice and Music? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.