What to buy? TRX?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm part of a small band that performs semi-regularly for 200 people tops.

We are 4 musicians that use the following:
4 mics for singing
1 powered classical guitar
1 classical guitar that's powered through a regular mic

We want to buy a PA system.
We were thinking of buying the Yamaha StagePas I600 + 5 SM58 mics for our PA system but then got a recommendation that it wouldn't pack enough power for 200 people (indoors).

A store gave us the following setup:
Mixer - TRX Audio MEN82FX
2X Speakers - TRX Audio Q10-AD
5 PGA mics / SM58 mics

It seems like the store's set up would be more versatile, powerful and even professional then the StagePas, which kinda gives me the feeling of a large loudspeaker (but I might be totally wrong).

The store's setup is also much cheaper then the StagePas.
But, and this might be a big but, I am unable to find any reviews on these TRX products.

Is TRX a solid brand?
Are these products any good?
They come with a 2 year warranty.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks a lot!

According to their website, their Z-8, Z-10, Z-12, X10-A, X12-A and X15-A, all have 12" drivers with 1.35" compression drivers, have the exact same dimensions, coverage and frequency response.

In fact, even the models that represent the correct driver size, in line with their model numbers, have the same compression drivers and the same frequency response. Only the weight, maximum SPL and amplifier power changes. On the plus side their Pavilion series has a 10 mm steel grill.

It looks like what we in the Netherlands call a "dozenschuiver" roughly translated: Box pusher.

An 1.35" VC compression driver isn't necessarily bad but is usually a sign of a "entry level product", which looks to be the entire brand in this case.

Johan

So, you play classical guitar ...no Bass. It depends of what kind of music Your band performs and of course the size of the room. If it is classical gospel or Love songs, You don't need much power, since it is heard low Volume. You just have to fill the room with the music. A Stagepas would perhaps suffice. The drivers are 10'', so not much punch. Otherwise if You play Pop, Rock or Country (not love songs), try a Yamaha DXR15 or a Turbosound IQ series speaker. Something in the 1000-2000W range. We use them on weddings for Djing. If You need more bass, add a Sub to it. For Metal, double or triple that power !!

Last edited:
FWIW...
I think it's important to sit down with the band and decide if you want to invest and go places, or if you'd like to stay at the level you're at forever.

For the former, think seriously about budgeting for a sound engineer. Having someone out in the audience actively making it sound good will always beat someone on-stage guessing at how it sounds. Moreover, whoever is mixing won't put on their best performance on-stage if they're constantly worrying about the sound.

For the latter, buy whatever you think sounds good enough and run it until it breaks.

The bands that sound good are the ones that get asked to do weddings, corporate gigs, etc, paying 10x what a bar/club might pay. The ones that sound bad will carry on playing in bars for a couple of pints of beer for each member.
It's entirely up to you guys. If it's a hobby and it's going to stay a hobby, then there's no need to worry too much about the PA system.

Chris

Never heard of TRX audio but I'm well aware of what a Yamaha Stagepas is. At best these systems will only be capable of amplifying vocals, forget about putting any instruments through them and even then you will push this system for all its worth and be left wanting more.

I run a sound and lighting rental co, if I was going to provide a PA for a band in a room with 200ppl I would bring about $5k in gear, that is four $1k speaker boxes and a $1k mixer and no that would not be overkill.. it's just adequate in some cases. Your band may not need that level of equipment but it depends what you are trying to do, support a hobby or make an impression as Chris described above.

I run a sound and lighting rental co, if I was going to provide a PA for a band in a room with 200ppl I would bring about $5k in gear, that is four $1k speaker boxes and a $1k mixer and no that would not be overkill...

That'd be just getting started - you haven't moved in any amps, stands, cables, mics, etc. ;)

Chris

PS - Adding up the cost of all the gear at a given gig gets quite scary.

Last edited:
Conanski

5000K ? You buy Your stuff very cheap ?

Pioneer DJM800 - 1800€
Pioneer MEP7000 -1800€
Pioneer Dj Console - 300€
Laptop - 1500€
DJ Software - 500€
AKG Wireless Mic - 200€
DBX Driverack or similar Crossover / EQ - 400€

Just the Booth: ~6000€

Turbosound Iq powered speakers - 3000€
Turbosound Sub - 1000€
Cables / Stands - 200€

And more 5000K for Amplification / flightcases etc.

A simple wedding party for 150-200 ppl,
Oh, and I didn't sum the cost of led pars / bars and respective stands.
Cd's / purchased tunes ….projector for video clips...

If You buy Gemini, Ibiza Sound, or Chinese stuff stuff You will cut on the costs, but You will have problems.
For example I had some cheap stuff in the past but had to substitute all XLR's Speakons and Powercons with Neutrik Ones.

You can start with minimal but decent speakers, and then grow from there when budget allows.
Start with a Yamaha mixer instead of Behringer or El-Cheapo for example.

Last edited:
PS - Adding up the cost of all the gear at a given gig gets quite scary.

Yes of course. I just quoted the cost of some decent powered speakers and a mixer since that represents the core of a PA system.

Over on the PSW forum there is a recurring thread on putting together a solid bar band PA system and while the exact components have changed over the years the one constant is that is costs about $20k by the time everything is purchased and cased, racked and bagged for transport.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.