Portable battery-driven speaker system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the link. If you can work those simulators then you're a smarter man than I!

If you don't feel that you have solved your problem, you could always start a new thread over on the multi-way forum, asking for comments on your design for the B&C in a small, portable cabinet.

I suspect you would get more response from the speaker design experts on that forum - perhaps more than you need!

I ran a mobile disco way back in the 70's, so am 'in tune' with your project. Only wish I could live through it all again! Have fun!

Thanks for the link. If you can work those simulators then you're a smarter man than I!

If you don't feel that you have solved your problem, you could always start a new thread over on the multi-way forum, asking for comments on your design for the B&C in a small, portable cabinet.

I suspect you would get more response from the speaker design experts on that forum - perhaps more than you need!

I ran a mobile disco way back in the 70's, so am 'in tune' with your project. Only wish I could live through it all again! Have fun!

I've actually come to the conclusion that there are other drivers with better bass-response (After playing around with it). I might increase the size to 45-50 liters and see how much the weight will increase and how it will fit my design. This thread has already helped me A LOT. Maybe when I have a finished design, I will do another thread where people can critique my design and I can re-design it until I have a good design :)

Light weight: I've read 12mm plywood is thick enough, just add bracing every 10cm-15cm or so. I think its enough to have ~2cm wide strips of that 12mm ply as bracing. You can add furniture adjustment leg against the bass driver magnet to stiffen the front panel, see small syns thread. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/292379-syns-19.html#post4843715

Maybe I'll just stiffen det surroundings of the woofer. The adjustment legs seems a bit too much of a mouthful for me atm :)

If you use drivers with a higher Qes (around 0.3 as a start), you'll find they'll make it easier to get a decent bass response. The 12CL76 has a very low Qes, that's why it has a sharp peak around tuning, with a dip just above tuning as well. Because of the low Qes (and Vas) it also 'likes' small enclosures, while increased cabinet volume will give an increased output boost around the reflex tuning.

Considering you've already build Cubo 15's, if you build a Cubo 12 (or similar sized tapped horn) you'll get that bass response that you just won't get out of a 12" top cabinet. It will go lower and louder, as with the same 12" driver in a second top cabinet. As a plus you can now use a smaller top cabinet that just focusses on 80 Hz and up.

Currently I build most of my 12 V top and bass cabinets out of 9 mm, 7-ply Baltic birch (just like the SoundBoks), or 15 mm generic light weight ply (like Spruce).

Best regards Cubo

If you use drivers with a higher Qes (around 0.3 as a start), you'll find they'll make it easier to get a decent bass response. The 12CL76 has a very low Qes, that's why it has a sharp peak around tuning, with a dip just above tuning as well. Because of the low Qes (and Vas) it also 'likes' small enclosures, while increased cabinet volume will give an increased output boost around the reflex tuning.

Considering you've already build Cubo 15's, if you build a Cubo 12 (or similar sized tapped horn) you'll get that bass response that you just won't get out of a 12" top cabinet. It will go lower and louder, as with the same 12" driver in a second top cabinet. As a plus you can now use a smaller top cabinet that just focusses on 80 Hz and up.

Currently I build most of my 12 V top and bass cabinets out of 9 mm, 7-ply Baltic birch (just like the SoundBoks), or 15 mm generic light weight ply (like Spruce).

Best regards Cubo

9mm Baltic birch? I'm pretty sure that Soundboks is 12mm Baltic birch.

And thanks. I hope you like what I've done with the cubo15. You can see a photoalbum of my 12v speakersystem somewhere on this thread. They were playing beautifully and I did get a lot of creds for the amount of sound that came out of them.

And thanks for bringing about the idea of using a TH-design. I've played around with cubos many times now, soooo... If I choose to do this type of setup, I'd actually try out the SS15 or Tham design. Then I'd combine my ASD1001 withe the BETA-8CX. Install them in small closed-enclosures and then have a seperate box for amp, batteries and all that.

I'll make sketchups for both versions and look at both weight, cost, portability and which I like the most. I mean 95% of the time, the system is going to be in my rather small apartment not playing. If I build tall but thin Mid-speakers with 12". I think I could just cover it with a white blanket. Make it a part of the room or something. With a rather big TH-horn. That's another story :)

And thanks for the advice on the driver! I'm actually considering a 50L cab with the 12FH500 instead now. I played around with it yesterday. It showed way better bass-performance

9mm Baltic birch? I'm pretty sure that Soundboks is 12mm Baltic birch
What makes you so sure?

A Cubo 12 is 97 L (a THAM 12 is 96 L), a top cabinet that is 50 L internal is going to be around 75 L external. You've got two, so that's 150 L.

If a Cubo 12 or THAM 12 is going to be louder and play deeper than 2 x reflex tops, it doesn't make much sense to go for something bigger (like a SS15). You've already beaten your 2 tops in output and depth and you clearly stated you don't want something bigger, yet now you say you do?

If you make a CX8 cabinet, it can fit inside the Cubo 12 horn mouth during storage, so now your storage volume is 97 L, not 150 L, not 96 L plus top.

Johan

What makes you so sure?

A Cubo 12 is 97 L (a THAM 12 is 96 L), a top cabinet that is 50 L internal is going to be around 75 L external. You've got two, so that's 150 L.

If a Cubo 12 or THAM 12 is going to be louder and play deeper than 2 x reflex tops, it doesn't make much sense to go for something bigger (like a SS15). You've already beaten your 2 tops in output and depth and you clearly stated you don't want something bigger, yet now you say you do?

If you make a CX8 cabinet, it can fit inside the Cubo 12 horn mouth during storage, so now your storage volume is 97 L, not 150 L, not 96 L plus top.

Johan

One of the founders often comments on the danish 12v forum. That's why you have so many danes commenting about the cubos on your thread haha. A lot of people praise your speaker on the forum. Anyways. Alfred from the SB team often comments, and they're actually quite open about the speaker. I'm almost entirely sure that they've build it with 12mm. On this forum people are almost outcasts if their Cubos are not 18mm birch haha. And this forum along with Saturnus brain is basically the mother of the SB.

My concern with the th-designs using 12" is that they drop off quite early. Like 60hz? Is this right. I've managed to make two 50L cabinets going down to 50hz.

Bet a tham12 or cubo12 will make a nice nightstand haha <- I might actually do that, if I end up building those :p

My SB1 is made out of 9 mm Baltic Birch.

Personally I could live with 12 mm for the THAM12, if used for 12V PA.

Johan

I asked Alfred from the SB team and he confirmed. It's 9mm - You were right haha. Also. Do you reckon I could use 9mm for my satellit speakers? The Beta-10CX won't be playing much below 100. Maybe 110hz if the tham12 allows me :p

Last edited:
fwiw I had Beta10cx in two Karlson type - the little one tuned high might balance better outdoors than the big one http://i.imgur.com/88ONFB0.gif

what's a good cheap amp module for battery power other than a 3116? (I'd probably use a drill battery for short play)

Wow! That is valuable information haha. Hvor big is the small cabinet? And is it closed? And very nice... You've listed the crossover-info as well. That's another job done haha!

Well. The amp you've listed is probably the best at a super ultra cheap price. But I've experienced that 3116 makes a whistling noise. Like a low shaky whistlenoise. I won't be using a super cheap amp like that anymore. For this project I'm using Sure 2x300 + 500w step up. Total of 130usd. My batteri is 12v, so I need to boost the voltage to achieve 2x300w.

So my Beta-10cx will be in parallel. BUT I've talked to Alfred from SB and I might actually do two MINI soundbokses in closed cabinets as full-range cabs. They only need to be about 10-12L with a VERY similar tweeter to the one from soundboks and two 8" fane 8-225. In this case, the amp will be 4x100w. 2 channels bridged for my tham12 and the other two for the speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.