Portable battery-driven speaker system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You are obsessed with X Max :)

useful somewhere else, forget about it in a small box (which will limit cone movement anyway) relatively low power system.

Check actual curves , the "single number" SPL rating is *misleading*, check and you´ll see that the "98dB" woofer actually meets that .... from 200 to 1000Hz that is ;) , but NOT at 40/60 Hz , you will also see that you heavily pay for extended X Max with greatly reduced output "everywhere else", meaning all low/mid/high mids where most of your acoustic content will be anyway.

Just a small detail: the "1 inch" driver spec refers to throat diameter, actual voice coil is larger: 33mm (1.3").
Of course, a 4400 (1.75") VC is way larger and presumably better.

In any case I would add a series protection lightbulb (if crossover does not already include it) ...... given the "wild Party" spec that is ;)

Thanks for your contribution.

And yes. I am obsessed with xmax. I once bought 4 speakers from a friend. Appeared that all four speakers were blown to bits. Half the cone was inside the chamber and some was within the horn. Since then. I've always wanted as much xmax as possible.

Good idea with the lightbulb protection. I'll be doing it digitally thought. Using the miniDSP 2x4, I'll setup a limiter. And I've settled on getting a seperate amp for the woofers (2x300w) and for the tweeter (2x50w) maybe (2x100w). This way I can seperately EQ for each speaker and setup the perfect crossover :p

And in terms of the horndriver. I think I'll start with the current horndrivers I have lying around. If I find them not performing well enough - Then I'll upgrade to ND350, which only weights 0,8kg like the ASD1001. If I'm not mistaken, they both use the same 1" horn mouth right?

Last edited:
Since you are restricted in cabinet volume due to the requirement for portability, perhaps you should be asking us to suggest a 12" driver which will operate satisfactorily in a 40 litre cabinet?

Yeah probably! Though I'm actually quite settled on this driver. It's light, 4 ohm and sprayed with a waterproof coating. Unless someone has some brilliant alternative I'll go with the B&C 12CL76C

And I'll go with plastic-ports then :)

I'm quite new to designing fullrange cabinets - It's actually my main issue. If you can point me in the right direction, I'll probably stop with the simple questions haha

If you're settled on the driver choice and restricted to around 40 litres, then your cabinet is basically designed, apart from choosing the most appropriate port tuning frequency.

That takes you back to asking for help with the driver's T/S parameters. Meanwhile the default tuning, as recommended by the manufacturer for a 40 litre cabinet, is 60Hz.

If you're settled on the driver choice and restricted to around 40 litres, then your cabinet is basically designed, apart from choosing the most appropriate port tuning frequency.

That takes you back to asking for help with the driver's T/S parameters. Meanwhile the default tuning, as recommended by the manufacturer for a 40 litre cabinet, is 60Hz.

I'm not entirely sure how the size of the cabinet impacts the response?

Small cabinets raise the system Q value and increase boominess. A speaker with a high Qts will perform better in a large reflex cabinet.

The tuning of the reflex port affects the bass response. If the frequency is too high, there will be a peak in the bass response. If too low, the bass will be weak.

Some calculations involving the T/S parameters are necessary.

The Qts of the B&C is 0.21 which is regarded as low in bass reflex terms, and will suit a small enclosure.

I've already found the parameters, but I don't know how to interpret them. This already helps a lot!

These are gonna be used as stand-alones, and both portability as well as lack of bass will "kill the party" for me. Would it make sense to perhaps get a slightly bigger cab with a driver suited for such cab to achieve just a bit more bass response? It's probably gonna be used indoors 60% of the time. And when used outdoors, they'll be on the ground next to eachother. Preferably up against a wall (Again to enhance the minimal bass I can get out of the cab)

While we're waiting for help to arrive, here's some more on parameters.

A speaker's compliance or 'springyness', Vas, determines whether a cabinet is too large or too small. The ratio of box volume to Vas (Vb/Vas) varies, depending on the Qts of the driver.

But we haven't established yet whether or not the B&C in a 40 litre cab tuned to 60Hz will be lacking in bass response!

Where are all the speaker designers? They mustn't be looking at the PA Systems forum!

Thanks again for all the help. Is there a way to contact an admin to move the thread to the proper sub-forum?

You could build two smaller wedges and a proper sub. ASD1001 bolts on eminence 8cx coaxial which seems to work in 11litre cabinet, at quick look. Sorry, no other instructions :)

I did consider this. This way I could install the batterypack and amplifier in the sub, but I won't be needing crazy response below 45hz tbh. I've build this speaker system this sommer. It has 2x BFM DR250 w/ piezos and 2x Cubo w/ kappalite 3015LF. Cubos barely play anything below 45hz and that was alright for this type of music.

I Therefore think that adding a dedicated sub, will be a bad way to get max SPL from the speakers pr. kg

IMG_1121.jpg

MORE PICTURES

Last edited:
Thanks for your contribution.

And yes. I am obsessed with xmax. I once bought 4 speakers from a friend. Appeared that all four speakers were blown to bits. Half the cone was inside the chamber and some was within the horn. Since then. I've always wanted as much xmax as possible.

What you are seeking is a high Xdamage. Xmax is where the nonlinearity starts, Xdamage is where irreversible damage occurs.
Also, the excursion is VERY dependent on the relationship between tuning and low cut corner frequency as well as low cut filter type. Low cut set properly? So don't care too much about excursion. Low cut way too low or too flat? Need a great excursion capability and painfullly pay for it on efficiency and other parameters.

I'm not sure I've done this correctly. I've never done reflex cabinets, and I just noticed that the popular how-to guide on the internet was back up. I gave it a shot and these are the results: cab is 42L. Grey = 60hz tuning. Black = 50hz tuning. Driver is 12CL76C.

N_Spire1.png

N_Spire2.png

N_Spire.png

Actually I prefer a lower tuning. This way I can EQ the 60-120hz up and get sufficient 45-55hz. This gives me 10hz lower response and I can also set the low-cut 10hz lower :) :)

NOTE: These results are just from what I've read on the internet. There may be mistakes.

You seem to be hitting the spot with the guide you have found.

The 50Hz tuning loses about 5dB around 80Hz compared to the midrange but is less peaky, more extended and will be (as you say) easier to equalise.

By swapping plastic tubes of different tuning lengths, you can always alter the tuning of the finished speaker and decide which sounds best to you.

P.S. Would you copy and paste the web address of the internet guide which you are using?

Sure my friend.

For a long time. The pictures weren't avaliable, but they have since updated it. Now you can see it all clear. I've been playing around with hornresp before. Trying to optimize hornloaded cabs to my needs. Both the cubo15 and the Roar18 have I played around with. So it didn't take much time for me to learn the few ekstra parameters :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.