affordable shotgun/directional microphone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do a lot of Skype and voice chat in games. I'm using an 80's IBM Model M, it rattles loudy, which is really a problem when I want to use automatic voice detection. I don't want to get into things like filtering software or a foot pedal to active the microphone.

Right now I'm using a simple logitech microphone like this Logitech Desktop Microphone: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets
I once tried a cheap "shotgun" microphone, which doesn't cut out the keyboard noise. This is not something about user error, afaik. This is the one: Marsnaska Mic 01 Sgun Professional Studio/Stereo Recording 3.5mm Microphone/Microfone for CANON NIKON PENTAX Panasonic DSLR-in Microphones from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I'm now looking at a better shotgun microphone. Either battery or phantom power. A friend says phantom power is much better. How do these look?

Takstar SGC 598 Photography Interview Lecture Conference Shotgun MIC Microphone for Nikon Canon DSLR Camera P0025716-in Microphones from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Phantom Power XLR 3Pin Male Interview Microphone Shotgun Mic for ZOOM H4N Digital Recorder , Mixing console , Camera etc.-in Microphones from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
edit: this could work too, Professional Condenser Interview Microphone Shotgun for Digital Camera Canon Nikon Sony Pentax Panasonic Olympus Samsung Casio-in Microphones from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Other desperate options:
- try an opposite-phase microphone on the keyboard to cancel out the noise
- parabolic microphone
- the weird tube-organ system from popular science/mechanics

Last edited:
To me a shotgun mic is a mic with a narrow field, and is used to mic a single source from a distance. In other words, from across the stage I can aim it at one speaker in a row of people. If I read you right, your mic will be close to your face. A shotgun mic has a narrow field also means if you move off axis, the sensitivity falls off rapidly. SO if you aim one at your mouth, and turn your head or band to the side, you lose level.

You sound like a candidate for a headset mic. The head strap holds it on your head and a small mic capsule sits by your mouth regardless of your motion. Even a lapel mic might work. To keep keyboard noise out, you are looking for rear rejection.

To be honest, when I see an $11 mic, all I expect from it is it picks up some sound. I work in the world of professional audio, so my idea of a cheap mic is $100, not $10.

The microphone will be about an armlength away. Later on, I will upgrade my DSLR to one that can record movies, so it would be useful for that.
I already put money into nice headphones, but they don't have a microphone. I'm not eager to put 100-150 into a second headset, just for the microphone.
Rigging my current headphones with a microphone just seems too cumbersome.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Getting the mic closer to your mouth will make you voice louder and everything else quieter, of course. So a headset or lapel mic is a good choice.

The shotgun, or other directional mic, is a good idea but tricky to use. As noted in posts above, you have to aim it precisely. In some radio work we used a small shotgun aimed down into the mouth, with the head tilted slightly back. It's a good technique, but mouth noises can be a problem.

I thought the last mic you linked to would do the trick, but that's nothing more than a guess, not knowing any of them.

I work in the location video production world, doing audio. I would suggest a headset type mic. There are plenty out there at all price points. Some of the small ones that wrap around one ear are great, not heavy or bulky. The close miking will help with the sounds in your room. Some of my favorites, though a bit pricey are DPA, Countryman. Shure, Sennheiser, AKG and many no-name ones for under 100usd are available.

The at875r could work. It's a short shotgun with a not too tight pattern and I've had good experience with it. But it's 170$.

I would seriously consider a lapel or headset if you don't want to spend too much and get decent isolation from the keyboard noise.

While you are at it, consider room acoustics. Is your room very small? Do you have hard, bare walls? If so, all kind of background noise will be more pronounced. Also the vocal sound will be unclear and disturbed by resonances, flutter echoes etc.

To counter these problems, you would need to introduce significant amounts of absorption, such as heavy, large drapes or molton fabric on 50-75% of your wall area. Leave a little bit of an air gap between walls and drapes to improve absorption, and dont stretch it straight, better have it horizontally 30-50% longer than the corresponding wall, to allow for folds. A large, filled bookcase could also help by diffracting the sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.