Safe outdoor recording and playback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need to build a simple system to record outdoors and playback outdoors a dog barking. Needs to be waterproof. I have a 25W PA amplifier and 2 RCA outdoor speakers. Also have a GPX ML648S digital audio player. Would like to create a system that would monitor a barking dog, record the barking, and after a minute of barking, play it back through the PA amp and speakers. Also have a wireless-capable laptop. Do not have a waterproof microphone, which I suppose also should be wireless. The 25W PA amp could be located under a porch overhang to protect it from moisture, no problem.. What else do I need and how to put it all together?

Do you want to record a specific dog? Otherwise you could just find a piece of audio file of a barking dog, and play it back. Just like for humans, there are many emotional variations of barking (anger, hunger, playing, happiness, fear, etc.) What is the purpose? Also I am afraid 25 watts is to little, environment noise like wind, traffic, airborne, will mask it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You could seal the mic in a plastic bag. Condoms are often used for wireless mic belt packs inside sweaty costumes.
Run a balanced line inside to the recorder. If the dog is not close to the mic, you won't get a good recording, but it's worth a try. I agree with the post above, find a recording and play that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.