Ross Systems H-218CD speakers anybody? Mine are missing tweeters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, it sounds remarkably good. I'm feeding it 600W through an Australian Monitor AM1200 with two channels bridged. I'm impressed with both the old compression driver and the mid. Turned up a bit and its bass really thumps.
I will get TS numbers for the mid when I get time.
I'm going to get a Faital Pro 8FE200 and maybe a Selenium D202-Ti for the other cab. What do you think?
If I use these as my "stereo" I will tri-amp them as I have a spare DBX 234xs crossover.

I would suggest to use the same impedance as the speaker you are taking out, unless you are planning other modifications as well. Not sure if yours is a 4 ohm system or not, but mine is.

I would be very interested in knowing what Eminence suggests as a replacement speaker for the ones you need. I believe that in a stereo pair, changing the speakers without maintaining similar specs, you will have one system that will invariably sound different than the other. Some differences may be subtle, or very prevalent.

However, I was looking at replacing my 18's with these - Beyma - 18LX60V2

I meant 2 x 8's and 2 x CD's. Faital Pro's are 4ohm. Eminence don't make a retail 8" 4ohm driver.
Finding another original mid would be great but very difficult.
I just had a look at the Beyma specs. Looks like the bee's knees for this box.

Last edited:
Thought id chime in and share what i did with a H118, the boxes were beyond repair but had been upgraded to jbl 2242H's, and the mids were poked through the dust cap and old, i think they were similar to eminence alpha8s.

Cost me $100 for both cabs, i rebuilt the JBL 18's into BHP's, put eminence beta 8's into the mid horns, and peerless 1" DFM-2535R00 compression drivers into the high horns
Active dsp and triamped, also have some freq graphs, heavy and big but have alot more fidelity than they once did, they'll eventually go above some super planar 8th subs.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1536892986726.jpg
    FB_IMG_1536892986726.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 84
  • received_269501690557175.jpeg
    received_269501690557175.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 159
  • received_284440935494897.jpeg
    received_284440935494897.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for your measuring and posting.

I find the frequency response graphs curious; no major peaks or throughs which is commendable, doubly so in a PA cabinet, even more a horn loaded one, but all 3 drivers look quite mismatched to each other, or definitely not in the same class:

710145d1539933958-ross-systems-218cd-speakers-mine-missing-tweeters-received_269501690557175-jpeg

* Woofer stays definitely in the high 90's level

* Midrange starts at a comparable level, drops some 3 to 6dB at the higher frequencies, not unusual for a simple horn with no visible phase plug, meaning horn "helps" it at the lower frequencies but is somewhat uncoupled at the higher ones.

* Tweeter is incredibly smooth, (didn´t expect less from a Peerless product) but is shockingly in the lower 80´s ... good for home Hifi systems but way too weak for a PA type one.

It seems very poorly adapted to the Ross horn, because using the native Peerless one it shows way higher sensitivity, which ranges from very high 107dB to acceptable 95dB ... still 12 or 13dB higher than what you measured .

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.audioxpress.com%2Fassets%2Fupload%2Fimages%2F1%2F20180204201854_Figure3-TymphanyDFM-2535R00-08CompDriver.jpg

Makes me think that you would be better off by junking the original HF horn and straight mounting the original Peerless one itself.

Oh dude this is no perfect measurement, its not 2.83v@1m, it was measured at 4 meters and "-13db" in REW, i wanted todo a full volume recording but apparently i need to pull the MiniDSP mic apart to change its internal gains which im having trouble doing, fear of breaking that end cap.

It can be very loud, it can cover 400 people no worries when on stands..

That's some decent responses from what many people would consider to be garbage. Speaking about garbage... I ended up picking up from a friend of mine his old Peavey system. I nearly broke something moving around those old horn bins. I thought the Ross's were heavy enough... but these... near did me in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.