JBL EON618S vs EV ELX118P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. I have a pair of EV ZLX-12P monitors that I use for an acoustic duet, house parties, karaoke, other smaller tasks. For an acoustic duet, these work find since I don't care about frequencies under 80-100hz. For full range music, I'm hurting for a subwoofer. My friend let me use his EV ELX118P subwoofer and I loved it. I have since given it back and am looking for a sub of my own on the used equipment market.

I've been holding out for an EV ELX118P to match my monitors, but I found a good condition JBL EON618S for $400.

If you had to choose, would you go with the JBL, or would you continue waiting for an EV sub?

Is $400 a good deal of the JBL? I'm seeing they sell new for $799 so it looked like a good deal to me.

Thanks!

Pro: Hard to argue with a $400 powered speaker if it's in good condition.
Con: Personally I'd rather have a brand matched system.
Con: The ELX118p is well known as a very good sounding box and also as being reliable.
Con: JBL makes some very good equipment but this is their bargain basement powered line so don't expect miracles.
Pro: I doubt the EV gets a lot louder.. maybe a touch but nothing earth shattering. Neither of these boxes can hit their rated maximums of 130+ dB.

I'm an equipment supplier for DJs and often send out a pair of ZLX12ps with a single EKX18sp and that is a good match in moderate sized venues. In larger venues I add a second sub and the ZLXs hang with them right up to limiting. Neither of the two boxes you are looking at will match an EKX18sp in output.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
They don't differ much sound or loudness wise. The main difference is the DSP in the JBL while the EV only got an active crossover. The DSP is not that powerful though but on the EON 618 S, it allows for 3 different crossover frequencies (80, 100, 120Hz) while the EV ELX 118P got only a fixed xo frequency (100Hz). However, your EV ZLX 12P got a DSP and the setup works fine with the ELX sub.

Summary: Both is fine, I personally would prefer the EV because it's the same brand (minor issue though) and they are a bit smaller and also a bit lighter, which improves handling and transport.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.