Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PA Systems A forum for discussion of all parts of a sound reinforcement or DJ system: loudspeakers, mixers (desks) etc.

Wharfedale pro opinions
Wharfedale pro opinions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2017, 04:23 PM   #1
wheath95 is offline wheath95
diyAudio Member

Default Wharfedale pro opinions

Hi guys, looking for a cheap but loud and bassy 2nd hand system for house parties etc.
Been offered speakers for 250 as follows:

Wharfedale pro EVP-15SB ST
- 400w continuous
- 800w program

Wharfedale pro EVP-S12 x2
- 150w continuous
- 300w program

3 questions
What do you reckon to this price?
Could they cut the mustard for a medium size room (my guess would be 8x5m or something) with a 1000-1500w power amp?
Bass is important - reggae/jungle/drum n bass etc. - would this 1 sub be enough?

Cheers
Old 3rd November 2017, 06:09 PM   #2
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You're not gonna get a lot of kit for 250, but that seems like a decent deal. For a room that small, it'll certainly give you some kick, but with a 55Hz tuning frequency on the sub, I think you'll find it lacking compared to systems that go lower.

Chris
Old 3rd November 2017, 06:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
You're not gonna get a lot of kit for 250, but that seems like a decent deal. For a room that small, it'll certainly give you some kick, but with a 55Hz tuning frequency on the sub, I think you'll find it lacking compared to systems that go lower.

Chris
Thanks for the reply. Think I'm gunna go for it as it's pretty cheap, can always upgrade parts at a later date.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a tuning frequency?
Old 3rd November 2017, 06:19 PM   #4
conanski is offline conanski  Canada
diyAudio Member

3 questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheath95 View Post
What do you reckon to this price?
All 3 boxes for 250? Sweet.
Quote:
Could they cut the mustard for a medium size room (my guess would be 8x5m or something)
Should be plenty..

Quote:
with a 1000-1500w power amp?
Ha sure.. if you want to vaporize the voice coils. You want a small 250w/ch amp for the tops and another 800w mono amp for the sub preferably with some built-in DSP limiting.
Quote:
Bass is important - reggae/jungle/drum n bass etc. - would this 1 sub be enough?
It should be.. but something tells me it probably won't be.

Last edited by conanski; 3rd November 2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 3rd November 2017, 06:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanski View Post
3 questions
All 3 boxes for 250? Sweet.
Should be plenty..

Ha sure.. if you want to vaporize the voice coils. You want a small 250w/ch amp for the tops and another 800w mono amp for the sub preferably with some built-in DSP limiting.
It should be.. but something tells me it probably won't be.
Nice.

thanks for the advice about the amps - all this stuff about continuous/peak ratings and power and ohms and stuff is very new to me. I want to get the most out of the limited speakers I can afford and read something about amps that are close to the continuous rating are in danger of clipping and burning the coils out
So you'd say mixer into crossover into small amp for tops, big amp for subs?

As for the bass thing I'll give it a go and see, there's room in the budget to go bigger later
Old 3rd November 2017, 06:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

He was also offering 2 kam 200w subs in the package (original price was 450) but they look pretty w*nk
Old 3rd November 2017, 06:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If you're buying amps get some with DSP built in like the Behringer iNuke DSP, that will take care of crossovers and limiting. You can burn up a speaker with any size amp... you just do it faster with a bigger amp unless there is some way to control output. If you want a reliable system that can tolerate some abuse limiters are not optional.
Old 4th November 2017, 04:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you're buying amps get some with DSP built in like the Behringer iNuke DSP, that will take care of crossovers and limiting. You can burn up a speaker with any size amp... you just do it faster with a bigger amp unless there is some way to control output. If you want a reliable system that can tolerate some abuse limiters are not optional.
Ok cheers. Getting the speakers today and have ordered an inuke 1000 dsp for the sub. Any particular recommendations for an inexpensive 2x250 for the tops?

Also, do I need a crosssover before the amps or is there some other way of wiring it? I know the Behringer has its own crossover but would the high pass signal then go from that to the other amp?
Old 4th November 2017, 05:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok cheers. Getting the speakers today and have ordered an inuke 1000 dsp for the sub.
Is the sub 8 or 4 ohms?

Quote:
Any particular recommendations for an inexpensive 2x250 for the tops?
A single Inuke 4-6000 would have done the trick for the whole system, tops on channels 1 and 2 and the sub on 3&4 bridged, only problem is there is no DSP which leaves the system a bit exposed. A second solution is to get another 1000DSP for the mains, with this the system is a bit underpowered but not terribly.
Quote:
Also, do I need a crosssover before the amps or is there some other way of wiring it? I know the Behringer has its own crossover but would the high pass signal then go from that to the other amp?
Everything you need is built in.

Last edited by conanski; 4th November 2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 4th November 2017, 05:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is the sub 8 or 4 ohms?
4, but it's dual voice coil so says 2x4 ohms??

Quote:
A single Inuke 4-6000 would have done the trick for the whole system, tops on channels 1 and 2 and the sub on 3&4 bridged. Everything you need is built in.
Ah ok, never mind. How would I wire it with 2 amps though, splitting the input between the amps?

Wharfedale pro opinionsHide this!Advertise here!