Mic with strong midrange recommendation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm hoping there is someone here with mics experience. I'm using SM57 for drums but find it too harsh to use for guitar amp miking. So I'm using old Behringer XM2000S which suits me fine. I need another but not only they don't make it anymore, the big problem is that I have two of these mics, one with switch (S) and one without. Being Behringer quality, they both sound completely different. The one without switch has a big EQ scoop in the middle and no midrange and just sounds terrible. So I'm looking for a mic that has good smooth and strong midrange without harsh top end. Ok, I want as cheap as the Behringer but maybe that was just one off lucky good mics they made by mistake. Any tips appreciated.
By the way I asked Behringer for new model replacement, they never even heard of the XM2000. They don't know what they made 15 years ego, how about that.

Last edited:
Sennheiser e609 is my preference for guitar amp miking.
on a tight budget the audix i5 gives good results.

technique will also have a profound influence on results.

using two mikes at varying distances is another thing to experiment with.

Last edited:
Like all things, mic and technique depends on what you're after. Metal/jazz/pick your poison. Dare I say if you cannot get something doable with a 57 something is amiss. There's a good chance the amp is set too bright so guitarist can hear on stage. After all, very few guitarist dial their tone in with their ear on the cab... The classic remedy (besides getting guitarist to change) is to move the mic off axis 45deg or even 90deg.

I used to use SM57 in the past as my main mic but that was for rock music. Since I'm doing 60's rockabilly type, I find the SM57 is harsh for that music. Just can't EQ out some the top end "fizziness" it has out of guitar or vocals without killing the tone I want. But for drums it works well.
I did try ribbon mic, that was a good tone but just not aggressive enough.
I guess I should have mentioned the style of music first, you'd have an idea what sound I'm in to. Often they just used generic mics, not boutique vintage ones as many people think. So I'm probably after some "generic" decent mic.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm also in the "If you can't get something usable out of the SM57, there's a problem" camp. Ditto the Audix i5 is worth a try.
As others have said, try different angles or positions. Another old trick is a second mic in the back of the guitar amp. Mix it in to taste, flip polarity or not - and listen.

Last edited:
SM57s (and a lot of modern mics) have a presence rise. Try a wide -6dB cut around 6kHz. It should still attenuate a couple of dB at 3kHz.

Alternatively, see if you can find a Beyerdynamic M67. They're one of my favourite mics ever, for the precise reason that they don't have the presence rise of most modern mics.

Chris

another great choice

Another great choice for your application, which is older, a bit of a sleeper, and can often be found on the cheaper end of things is the Beyerdynamic soundstar X-1. It has a cool retro look (similar to the Senheiser 421), very warm / smooth (for close-up micing), and capable of handling extreme SPL's.

Attachments

• soundstar.jpg
    soundstar.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 99
Read recordinghacks.com, a mike review website.
They do extensive testing of mikes with guitars. There are hundreds of brands and thousands of models out there.
Many brands are more consistent between individual mikes than some imports from *****. Even the premium US designed line has a ****ese line for those that like playing roulette with their purchases, for a 50% discount.
Recordinghacks.com is somewhat less useful to me since I play piano, which is much more difficult to reproduce. SM57/58 are tinny on piano. No highs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.