PAscala

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK guys. Its been an exhausting 2 weeks.

Some time ago I had posted this thread:
Brainstorm: DIY Compact High-Fidelity PA. Well it really didn't give me the direction I was looking for. After some more thought, what I really liked is the old-school style of having a cabinet for each frequency band (Low, Mid-Low, Mid-High, High). I think if my target is high-fidelity sound, this might be the way to go.

I started a horn based design for a 12-inch driver.
Long story short, a straight horn just wasn't working. Hornresp would give me errors (Cir > 1 for S3). Something to do with the wavelength and I did do some reading about that and in theory a horn's dimensions should be 1 wavelength long at the lowest frequency. Maybe that was the issue here, but I wanted to keep pushing forward.

I needed a longer horn. Which meant fold.
Research on folded horns took days. I purchased a couple of BFM plans to study the DR series. Google took me to the Klipsch forums where I read about the La Scala. Following that was the Peavey FH-1 and Martin's 115. These were classic horn-based designs, which I really liked. Love that old-school look and feel.

I'm sure there are modern designs that are better. Show me. I'm posting work I've been doing to see if I can get some feedback. Meet PAscala. A midbass horn based on old-school design.

Attachments

• pascala-horn-speaker-overview.png
    pascala-horn-speaker-overview.png
    15 KB · Views: 146
Hornresp Work

I tried a handful of drivers in the PAscala design. What was interesting is that drivers with a low voice coil inductance (Le) worked best. And there aren't many drivers out there with a very low Le. One of the best drivers I found was an Acoustic Elegance TD12M. However, the weight of the driver put it at the bottom of the list. Still the performance was fantastic. I might still consider this driver if the cabinet weight is minimal.

Another feature that I was looking for was a low Qts at or around 0.30 for a horn-loaded enclosure. Additionally, a high EBP at or around 180. These are what I look for in drivers for midrange horns. Others may look at different parameters. I'm open to education here.

I have settled on two drivers:
Eminence 3012HO and Ciare 12NDH-3

I also did some comparisons increasing enclosure volume (18-inch tall vs 24-inch tall). The 24-inch gave better response, however I'm not sure if the improvement justifies a 6-inch increase in height and enclosure weight.

Can i get some thoughts here on the findings?

attachment.php

Attachments

• PAscala-hornresp-18vs24.png
    PAscala-hornresp-18vs24.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 190
Hornresp would give me errors (Cir > 1 for S3).

It's not an error, it's simply a 'heads-up' cautionary message for the user. Multiple-segment horns are simulated using a plane-wavefront model which becomes less accurate once the mouth circumference in flare cutoff wavelengths (Cir) exceeds 1 for any horn segment. The results are still quite valid though.

Djk has done some interesting klipschhorn variants, one of them a mod to reflex load the driver to extend bass response and make it a full range cab

Yes I've read about some of his mods. I was especially interested in his PSSL mod which I would l like to experiment with to build a bass horn from the La Scala design.

I've asked him to comment here when he has time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.