Powered mixer and Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am not familiar with the Rockville line, did you chose them based on the super low price?

Rockville RSG12 12? 3-Way 1000 Watt 8-Ohm Passive DJ/Pro Audio PA Speaker - rockville audio

Note the tweeters and midrange horns in the above model are piezos. That is the mark of low end, entry level speakers. And just my opinion, but when I see a speaker described as a "DJ" speaker, my warning alarm goes off. Personally I am not fond of the sound of piezo tweeters.

The 1000 watt rating is for "peak" power, and frankly that 500 watt RMS spec is pretty suspicious for the lonesome 12".

A 12" woofer might be OK for spoken word, but if you have a full range keyboard in the mix, my personal preference would be for a 15" woofer.

I think looking for loudest is not really the priority t have, you do want it to sound good.

I'd recommend ditching the drum mics and stop putting the bass through the PA.

The mix you're trying to do would, IMO, need a good 15"+2" box a side, or maybe a 15" 3-way. Minimum. I'd probably add subs.

If you take away the bass guitar and drums, you could do it on a decent 12"+1" box per side, probably powered by your mixer if you can run some compression on the vocal channels to prevent clipping the power amplifiers.

Chris

I need to be able to run 5 vocal mics, 2 drum mics, 1 keyboard, 1 bass guitar, and 1 guitar.
Sorry but you need about $3000 worth of speakers to reliably support that, those Rockville speakers won't last a set and they will sound horrible for the short period of time they are working. If you take everything out of the mix except vocals and guitar then you could get by with a set of Yamaha club series speakers on stands, you could even add keys but don't try to push much lowend or the vocals will become muddy. These Yamahas are far from highend but they are decent sounding and reliable so look for some on the used market if you can't afford new.

Hi,

You tend to get what you pay for and $150 for 2 3 way
speakers is scraping the bottom of the bargain bucket.
In a word - dreadful. OK for a DJ on the very cheap
but nowhere near what you need for a decent PA.

Buy a reputable brand used, or if new your minimum
standard should be Behringer or something better.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
IMO AND EXPERIENCE with this brand, Rockville IS a good audio company for someone's P.A. and DJ'g needs. Yes, they are not top of the line like Behringer, JBL, E/V, etc...other companies. I KNOW THAT. But, IN NO WAY should they be compared to: Pyle, Phonic, Gemini, etc...THOSE are quality challenged. Those brands are for beginners, kids in the garage starting out needing a powered mixer head n speakers to play, etc. Sure. I'd say Rockville is somewhere middle of the road, in quality. I own a Rockville RPM 45 4 channel mixer amp, and RPM 85 8 ch. And a Rockville RSG 12" cab. RMS is what I rate these amps at, and they DO run 225 @ 8 ohms EACH SIDE-2 channels. 450 total @ 8 ohms, and adequate power. So, 900 watts total-I am combining both heads for a total of 12 channels. The RSG cab runs 250 RMS @ 8 ohms. I am underpowering it by 25 watts, but keep the volume on the lower end so as to not blow it. I will eventually get a separate power amp to power the RSG plus a Yamaha A15 I have. THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE; others may vary. And I do play out with them in clubs with no issues. Hope this helps...

OK lets try this:

Connect Your mixer Left channel to the Rockville speaker
Connect Your mixer Right to some decent Yamaha's, JBL, Turbosund etc,
Compare and I bet You'll hear the difference in sound Loudness and clarity.
I offered my brother one time similar speakers (Stamped 500W on the woofer cone) with a 250W amp for Christmas and he did a New Years party days after. Needless to say the crossovers were smelling ...when we brought them home, but the woofers and the piezos survived... Repaired and modded them with new crossovers and compression drivers and days later on a party the cases began to explode. It's cheap chipboard. I had to tie a rope in order for the panels not to come off.
For Djing You need at least 5000$ budget, 3K for Speakers,1k for a decent console and the rest for a PC, mixer, mike.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.