AER Compact 60 amplifier overheating problem

The result of the problem is solved but is the problem in itself solved?

I rarely see an AER pass by and they are not very kind when asking for a schematic.
On the other hand, all problems were easy solved (jacks, pots atc).
I never had one with a serious problem.

So back to the beginning.
Why is it overheating?
Oscillations are the most probably cause.
Check if the grounding of the everything that's connected to ground is wel fixed and with a good contact to that ground.
Oxidation can be a problem.

Hint: It would be great if someone at AER would smuggle out a collection of schematics and post them...

Hello,

After a few years ...
I am repairing an AER Compact and as I reded before, they are rarely "out of order".
The one I have under hands has no sound. Preamp is OK but the final power circuit is failing. Without schematics it's quite hard to understand, is has the TDA7294 amp and a 2180LC voltage controlled amp.
I will send a signal through the preamp to follow the signal and try to find out where it fails.
But anyone has any tip or any suggestion ?
Power supply is ok, filter caps are ok. What else should I check ?

Thanks.

Hi again.

I find the problem !
Simply the THAT2180LC is failing.
Great ! Easy.
BUT the problem now is to find a replacement for it.
I'v asked my locals providers: they don't find it
I´v contacted AER: no answer
Alibaba: No stock
Mouser: No answer. Not in stock
Farnell: No stock.
Aliexpress: No stock
Where else could I search ???

I think the resistor that was right next to the power caps was the bleed resistor. Bleeder resistor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IF it´s a bleeder resistor then it´s irrelevant whether the unit oscillates or not, its purpose is to discharge main filter caps after amp turnoff.

That it´s "near" the main caps means nothing, check what is it connected to.

It may very well be a dropping resistor to get a lower voltage to some other amp section.

IF it´s a bleeder resistor 100k is way too high, it´s more of a "tube amp" value than an SS amp one.

IF you want a bleeder resistor to discharge those caps reasonably quick solder a 1k 2W or 3W resistor across each cap.

Yes, I "did the Math".
Each will dissipate around 1W (I expect about 30V rails based on cap rating), and will discharge those caps to about 1V in about 15 seconds.

100k resistors will take 100 times as much, of course.

But again, re re re check where from to where to is that resistor connected.