Regular speakers with 70V amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I can get a good deal on two Beag 250W monoblock commercial 70V amplifiers, set includes two monoblocks, the control unit and rack.
Now, I am looking to use these with some pro audio party speakers, but my speakers don't have 70V transformers. Is there any way to connect the speakers with these amps?
Amplifiers are Beag EBE5310. Speakers are HQ Power 10 inch. Cheap, I know, but I got them for free so who cares. They have very good bass response for 10 inch speakers, but horns are piezo, so highs are nothing to write home about :( I also have some vintage Soviet pro speakers, with dual 8" cast frame woofers, two paper cone mids and two tweeters per speakers. Great speakers for rock music (bass drum kicks hard as hell), would be awesome to try them with the Beag amplifiers :)

Joined 2011
So, I can get a good deal on two Beag 250W monoblock commercial 70V amplifiers, set includes two monoblocks, the control unit and rack.
Now, I am looking to use these with some pro audio party speakers, but my speakers don't have 70V transformers. Is there any way to connect the speakers with these amps?

Often, 70V amps also have a normal low impedance output secondary winding, so check and make sure.

You need the output transformer but it has many taps: 100/50/25 and 9 ohms "which can be used with 8 and 16 ohms speakers"

They are not identified by "ohms" but by "ouput volts" which is no problem for a professional installer in a Church, Supermarket or railroad station, the typical users.

Power is 100W RMS and available outputs are:
100V (100W into 100 ohms)
50V (100W into 25 ohms)
30V (100W into 9 ohms)

There is another winding with 1.5V , 4V , and 20V but I think it has much thinner wire and is intended to drive a small monitor spieker at the audio operator room.

I think you could use 1 x 8 ohms speaker at each 30V winding. Period.

The design looks very good,very old and very specialized, with its highpass and lowpass filters to protect speakers, including metal folded horns.

Unless they are practically free, I think you'll do better building a couple 100/150W amplifiers.

Don'think you read Hungarian, but maybe Russian, so:
BEAG EBE 5310 5312 Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics

Thanks, JMFahey.
I already have the service manual :)
I can read a bit of Russian, but I mostly use Google translate. Not a perfect translation, but good enough to get a basic idea.
The amplifiers are nice, yes :) They were made in Budapest, Hungary, in the 1980's. Price is not free, but I think €50 (about $63) is a reasonable price, considering they come with a rack and the control/pre-amplifier unit, which, I read from somewhere, should be a valve pre :)
Seller is sending me a few pictures tomorrow so we can see what type of I/O is present on this amplifier, and decide the best connection method :)
As for building amplifiers, I have a few STK433 series chips laying around, so if this amplifier setup isn't going to work out, I'll put those STKs to good use. These STK chips are rated for 50w at 0.01% THD, 70w at 0.1% THD, 100w at 1% THD (acceptable for an outside party DJ setup, IMHO) and 150w with 10% THD, which is pretty close to sounding unbearable :D

Yes, the 1% distortion level is the DJ realistic one.

The output transformer terminal tagboard is:

DSC05976.JPG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.