Audio Centron AC-16 power supply bad, maybe?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy! I have an Audio Centron AC-16 mixing board that won't turn on.

I've checked the obvious things - the fuse is good, I'm getting mains power in, but no power out. I don't have a schematic, so I'm not completely sure what I'm looking for, and I don't have a lot of experience with mixers.

Can anyone offer guidance on testing the p/s to verify the problem?

If it is the p/s, does anyone have a line on a retailer who might carry such a thing? If I shell out the 20.00 for the schematic, will that have values on all the components so I could rebuild the board myself?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Aaron

I don't have any specific info on Audio Centron but as a general rule I would expect the Power supply to be on a separate PCB inside the console.

This PCB will have wires to it from the Transformer - you should get an AC voltage on these, which would confirm the transformer is OK.

The power supply board will most likely have TO220 regulators on board which may be fixed 7815/7915 15 volt regulators or variable LM337/317 regulators (although it may also have a more complex discrete power supply) and wires from this to the channel PCBes will have a positive and negative rail (with respect to Ground) usually of between 15 and 17 Volts (although may also be 12 Volts) .

start by finding and identifying the Power supply in the console and confirming the power Transformer is OK.

Audio Centron was the Crate pro audio brand. Crate is now a part of Loud technologies. COntact then and ask if they have the schematics for the unit. The people there will not be familiar with it, they will just look it up in their archives. So to help them, you AC-16 is probably in the AC-12 series file, also a bunch of the schematics are labelled AC-xx, as the mixers came in different amounts of channels. They don't charge for it.

When you talk to them, use terms like "customer unit" and "presented to me for repair." Don't volunteer that you lack experience or knowledge. You don't want to make them think you are a kid in his basement.

besides, a mixer is just an amp like any other, just that it has a lot more inputs.

mains power in but none out? Not sure what you mean. Do you get mains voltage right directly at the transformer primary wires? Wire to wire, not to ground or anything else.

Does that mean there are no voltages at all on the secondary wires? If so, is the primary open?

Or does no power out just mean nothing comes out the speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.