Need to replace amp in Powerstation 600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was given a Soundcraft powerstation 600 mixer/amp a while back did not work when I got it.So opened it up and could see left channel had bunch of burned up componets went online got the service manual for it and pulled fuses for power amp section powered it up and found that the mixer section worked just fine.With so many burnt componets on top side pulled the board out and as I feared lot of burned/ruined tracks on back side of board so repairing was not an option.Using the service manual as guide built a new power supply for mixer section(had most parts already in my parts bin)now comes my problem need to build amp(s) to replace original the power tranformer is still good on both windings and built new rectifier section for power amp it has 3 4,700 uf caps on both rails as well as snubbuer caps on bridge rectifier that gives me +/-58 volts and according to manual about 16 amps out.My problem is what amp to build to put in been looking at Destroyer X blame st supercharged and some of the ones from Appex.Was wandering and looking for comments suggestions and advice before I commit to building amp.I know could use it as is with external amp(as I have been)but would like to make use of the original transformer thats in it.
I am not a newbie been doing electronics as hobby since Jr high school and have repaired many old amps for friends and family(mostly old Fisher and Realistic)Any help would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
Robert

Thanks for replys,I guess I could do like Conanski says already removed everything but original power transformer and can always replace it with a smaller one.Since the winding for mixer supply is 20vct and original fuses were 2 amps would not be hard to find.Could always use the original transformer and power supply I built for external power amp.

Serten I thought some of apex amps were pa amps will look at his threads again.

Dug that looks interesting but I don't have knowledge to design a amp can read schematics build pc boards repair too.have old conar 255 scope,signal generater etc thanks to my late father.Guess will keep looking and use it with external amp till find something suitable.

As I said thank you all for the ideals.

The Honey Badger, for sale as a board from diyaudio, seems to fit the 300 w nominal power requirement. It has 60 v rails, you have 58. What is missing is the speaker protection (at a minimum) and clipping protection and SOA protection as sreten points out. The reason I won't be buying a honeybadger. Buying unreliable or burned up old Peavey amps is my hobby, because they do have the protections built in - for example the CS800x model has a well documented (eserviceinfo.com) "ddt" clipping protection, and a SOA circuit which measures the current out with current transformers, then processes it with op amps to determine if there is a problem, then pulls a hard contact relay if there is a problem. This stuff is patented. I got a CS800s with blown up input resistors and unreliable power supply capacitors (trip breaker) for about $200 as part of a bar band leaving the road package. The S suffix has the protections built into a microprocessor, which I view as non-duplicatable by people like me that don't like writing code. Mostly for me compilers just sit there at lesson 1 with a blank screen.
I don't suppose diyaudio could sell something as a board like speaker protection, SOA protection, clipping protection, but I wish they could . I've been hand building speaker protection against blown output transistors based on the Michael Bean dual NFET circuit, and may extend it to overcurrent protection with current transformers on the speaker lines later. Current transformers offer the possiblity of protection without destroying the sound, the CS800s sounds very good when the capacitors let it turn on. I've been stuffing this protection in a PV-1.3K amp which has the clipping protection (DDT) but has an ineffective crowbar speaker protection (melts the triac off the PCB instead of blowing the circuit breaker), plus enough space to cram in a wall transformer and three circuit boards.
Sreten - Abraham Maslow believed in Fairies.

Last edited:
The Honey Badger, for sale as a board from diyaudio, seems to fit the 300 w nominal power requirement. It has 60 v rails, you have 58. What is missing is the speaker protection (at a minimum) and clipping protection and SOA protection as sreten points out. The reason I won't be buying a honeybadger. Buying unreliable or burned up old Peavey amps is my hobby, because they do have the protections built in - for example the CS800x model has a well documented (eserviceinfo.com) "ddt" clipping protection, VI limiter, and a SOA circuit which measures the current out with current transformers, then processes it with op amps to determine if there is a problem, then pulls a hard contact relay if there is a problem. This stuff is patented. I got a CS800s with blown up input resistors and unreliable power supply capacitors (trip breaker) for about $200 as part of a bar band leaving the road package. The S suffix has the protections built into a microprocessor, which I view as non-duplicatable by people like me that don't like writing code. Mostly for me compilers just sit there at lesson 1 with a blank screen.
I don't suppose diyaudio could sell something as a board like speaker protection, SOA protection, clipping protection, but I wish they could . I've been hand building speaker protection against blown output transistors based on the Michael Bean dual NFET circuit, and may extend it to overcurrent protection with current transformers on the speaker lines later. Current transformers offer the possiblity of protection without destroying the sound, the CS800s sounds very good when the capacitors let it turn on. I've been stuffing this protection in a PV-1.3K amp which has the clipping protection (DDT) but has an ineffective crowbar speaker protection (melts the triac off the PCB instead of blowing the circuit breaker), plus enough space to cram in a wall transformer and three circuit boards.
Sreten - Abraham Maslow believed in Fairies.

Take a look at this ebay seller. http://stores.ebay.ca/HIFI-SPOT/Amp...d=882388317&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2

I have purchased 2X L25's an L20, 2X L10's and 2X L25D's .Everything works great no problems. I like my L25's the best though... crazy power on 2R with DC +57-0-57
On the L25s did you but kit or preassembled also what rail voltage are you running them at.
Indianjoe thanks but the pcb for the honeybadger and heatsink together I don't have room for.gonna go back and see if rearranging things will make any difference.

Oops

Attachments

• 100_2924 B.jpg
    100_2924 B.jpg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 95
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.