Shure PA185 into Shure x2u - Circuit help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have received a Shure PG185 condenser mic which I was going to connect through my Shure x2u XLR to USB signal adapter. However, the PG185 has a mini TA4F connector, so I was hoping to build a simple converter cable. Upon further research, it seems that the mic needs 5V rather than the phantom 48V, so I will have to do a little more building than anticipated.

So, what seems to be needed is something like this:

PG185 (TA4F) <-> x2u (XLR)
Pin 1 <- Shield -> Pin 1
Pin 2: +5Vdc <- Voltage regulator circuit -> Pin 3 (48V)
Pin 3+4: Audio <-> Pin 2

Would this kind of circuit work, or am I missing something?

No, it won't work, sorry.

Your PG185 is an *unbalanced* mic , designed for a very specific use, a belt transmitter, connected by a cable less than 2 feet long.
Uses a dedicated mini connector.
And is powered by 5V (10V absolute maximum).

Your Shure USB interface expects a dynamic or Phantom powered (48V) mic, cbalanced, through an XLR connector.

Besides being too high, those 48V are present on *both* pins 2 and 3, and it expects signal on *both* pins 2 and 3 (of course out of phase).

That mic *may* be modified, but it requires extensive surgery, not justified "just to use a mic I got for free", it will cost more than it's worth.

If anything, I'd build a small adapter box, with a 9V battery, input a mini TA4F connector and output whatever you like (1/8" or 1/4" jack, RCA jacks, whatever) *except* a balanced XLR jack.

Unless you want to add a transformer which will cost more than the mic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.