Vintage Richard Long Bertha/vintage JBL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have come in possession of a vintage RLA Bertha speaker cabinet. It's huge. With it are two very large JBL pa/stage speakers with separate cabinets that sit on top. I was told they have not been used since the early 1980's. There are also two other large speaker cabinets. I'm posting to see if there is any interest. I will be putting them up for sale soon. Thanks, Steve

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Please post a couple of pictures of Bertha drivers and the other boxes on the DIYAUDIO site if you have them. It would help identify them.

The part numbers you give are likely the custom Eminence (maybe RCF?) cone kits or drivers for the woofers used in the Bertha. The 8525 may be the date code of manufacture - 3rd week of June 1985 which would be late in Richard's career - he passed away in Dec 86. Be carefull in thinking better woofers like JBL, Celestion, EV etc will give better results in a Bertha - I've seen Berthas with large Crest monoblocks destroy the surrounds and cones of "better" drivers substituted into them in a couple of hours, while the original drivers last years at high SPL use. The cone mass, compliance of the surround, and speaker coil and motor parameters all need to be optimised for the high pressures, rear chamber volume, and loading of the Bertha (or any) bass horn.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.