DCX2496 in a live performance venue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First off, I need to explain my setup. This is all Behringer equipment:

XL3200 32-Channel Mixer
FX2000 Effects Processor
2-MDX4600 4-ch Compressors
DEQ2496 EQ for PA House
FBQ3102 2-Channel EQ for stage monitors
4-B212D Powered Speakers for stage and PA

Adding:

DCX2496 Crossover
B1500D 15" Subwoofer

I use the DEQ2496 for it's baseline RTA capabilities and very happy with it's performance. I connect this to my board via insert cables. Since the DCX2496 is also an EQ as well as a cross-over, I'm thinking of replacing the FBQ3102 for stage monitors and running stage, house and subwoofer thru the DCX2496. Behringer support told me that the inserts for my OUT A/B from my board going to the DEQ2496 will take presidence over the EQ on the DCX2496 (which I will run flat anyway). This is very unique setup and I've received comments on how clean the sound is. I think the DCX2496 will give me a little more control over the final output to both house and stage. Looking for any comments of people using the DCX2496 in a live performance scenario. Just searching for the "Holy Grail" for sound. I know some people are going to have comments about Behringer, but they have come a long way and I'm very happy with the quality, performance and "Best bang for your buck"

I've had weird issues when running other than full-range output to subwoofers off of my DCX2496. They just sort of rumble when the crossover is active but are punchy when supplied with full-range. Haven't figured out what's going on there. My setup is Phonic Summit -> AES/EBU to DEQ2496 -> AES/EBU to Denon DN-F650R -> AES/EBU back to Summit input. I go DEQ2496 -> optical to SRC2496 -> AES/EBU to DCX2496. This way, I'm digital from the board to the loudspeaker distro.

I don't see where the DCX2496 is going to help or do any feedback protection for you. The DCX2496 has limited memory also. If you start setting steep crossover points, delays, EQs, you'll run out of memory fast. It will lock up, malfunction or otherwise cause headaches. You want to feed the DCX2496 with AES/EBU signal, NOT analog off your mains from your mix board. Using input C on your DCX2496 to setup delay and polarity is the other tool I use in conjunction with the DEQ2496 auto eq settings.

There's many different ways to accomplish the same thing but I've found my setup to work for me for live gigs.

Hummm, feeding the DCX digitally is legitimate when used in an home audiophile context.

But, in a public performance, what do you do if suddenly you got the CS 8420 Bug ? ( a couple of deep notches, IIRC @ 7000 & 10000 Hz). This is very hearable, and the only solution to get rid of it is to reset, e.g. switching off the DCX...no sound for 4 secs, that's difficult to explain to the paying customer. This bug can be triggered by anything in the power line, as somebody switching on a vacuum.

This for a SPDIF, now I ignore if the AES/EBU is more robust. So, maybe the analog input is a safer option. SQ? very close.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, in this set up the analog inputs are the way to go. Oh course we have not yet answered the original question. :)

I'll look at the signal flow again.

EDIT: Looking at what the OP wants to do I would say:
Don't run the house thru the DCX. You've got all the EQ you need with the inserted DEQ.
Run the subs thru the DCX and use the crossover and EQ on those channels if you need it. You might even want a high pass filter there to keep subsonic junk out of the subs
Run the monitors thru the DCX only if you need to EQ them (I assume they have a crossover inside since they are powered). You may also want to run a high pass filter on the monitors to clean them up.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've had weird issues when running other than full-range output to subwoofers off of my DCX2496. They just sort of rumble when the crossover is active but are punchy when supplied with full-range. [snip].

This is normal for a xover for subs. Once you remove everything above, say 100 Hz or lower from the spectrum, what remains sounds rumbling - it's just the low frequencies in the music which are not always present anyway.
The way to judge this is to listen to both the rumbling subs plus the mid/highs at the same time. That should sound balanced.

jan didden

This is normal for a xover for subs. Once you remove everything above, say 100 Hz or lower from the spectrum, what remains sounds rumbling - it's just the low frequencies in the music which are not always present anyway.
The way to judge this is to listen to both the rumbling subs plus the mid/highs at the same time. That should sound balanced.

jan didden

It wasn't normal. Running 3 way tri-amped and had not had this issue before. No frying bacon or CS 8420 bugs...

Help with limiter settings on DCX2496

Hi folks. I've just bought a Behringer DCX2496. Can someone help me out getting the right limiter settings?

Here's my setup:

Behringer DDX3216 desk
Behringer DCX2496
Yamaha P2350 power amp (for tops - stereo 175W, 8ohms)
Behringer Eurolive B1220 speakers (200W RMS, 400W Pink Noise)
Behringer Europower EP2500 power amp (subs - stereo 450W, 8ohms)
Behringer Eurolive B1800X speakers (subs - 400W RMS, 600W Pink Noise)

I've used an online threshold calculator which gave me these results:

Tops -7.6dB
Subs -5.3dB

Does this sound right?

Cheers for your help

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.